Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What I did, How do I un-do it?

Posted by Maggie_Berry z6CT (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 05 at 15:28

Last year I was so inspired by this forum that I planted soft and hard neck garlic. All the garlic looks great! Unfortunatly most of my labels are scattered. How will I be able to tell the hardneck from the softneck when the time comes to harvest? Should I start working in fertilizer now or wait until it warms up. Also I just planted Walla Walla and Stuttgarter from sets before consulting the forum. Will these bulb at all? I should have planted seeds for bulbs. Should I run out and get onion transplants now, early April, to get some big onion bulbs or is it to late because of the light? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What I did, How do I un-do it?

The sets may grow just fine even if planted now. For the garlic, all you can do is wait and see which ones will have stiff stalks vs. flexable stalks when they start to blossom. Usually soft necks don't grow well here in Z 6, as I lost all of mine last year. This past fall, I planted all hard neck types instead, and right now they all look good. I also have walking onions nearby which I replant every year. You can side dress the plants now with a good fertilizer specific for onions. Dixondale has a decent fertilizer for just such things. Then fertilize again in about mid to the end of June. The garlic should have its blossom stem cut off so that it doesn't flower. Then dig them up once the greens start to die out slightly.

o

maggie i sent you an email just now

tom

o

Onion sets will form bulbs if planted early, but bulbs from sets will not be large. Actually they will be pretty small, but of good quality. You need transplants for large bulbs.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here