Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
onion/garlic flowers

Posted by mainblaine456 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 15:30

I love the giant allium ornamental onions and was wondering what type of flower would a bulb from the grocery store produce? Would it be purple or white? Does a red onion make a different flower than a white onion?

I know you usually dont let onions/garlic go to flower unless you want seeds but I am really curious if the flowers are anything worth while. I do love chives but can't seem to find chive bulbs at the store!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: onion/garlic flowers

To my knowledge, chives are the only edible allium that blooms pink. Regular onions and garlic produce white flowers that are not as showy as the ornamentals. You might want to get some garlic chives. The greens come on in the spring, then fragrant white flowers in August.

o
RE: onion/garlic flowers

Garlic produces more bulbils (small bulbs) than flowers in the flower head, if they produce flower stalks (scapes) at all. Grocery store garlic is usually an artichoke variety, which tend not to produce scapes, though I've had them produce some small under-developed scapes from time to time. Some of the hardneck varieties produce impressive scapes over 5' tall, but the flower heads themselves are pretty small, though the bulbils are interesting.

BTW, if you want really interesting, as in bizarre, scapes, I have three words: Egyptian walking onions.

Regular bulbing onions and leeks produce 3-4" globe-shaped flower heads which are usually white to pale purple. I'm not aware of differences between red and white onions as far as flower color, but there could well be. Most bulbing onions are biennials, so you might have to leave the bulb in the ground over winter to see flowers.

Chives are best purchased as bedding plants or they can be started from seeds. They have very pretty little purple flower heads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here