Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pandora962

Garlic Oops!

pandora962
15 years ago

I know now I messed up, I just need to know if it's possible to fix it!

I love garlic, so this year when I saw garlic at HD I thought I'd try it. Well, it was starting to grow in the bag, so I stuck it in a pot. Yes, the whole bulb! (4 of them) It never occured to me that breaking it into cloves was the way to go. I'm usually a flower gardener, just newly getting into veggies. I might as well admit, I also had to replant my asparagus because I stuck it straight down in the hole. I know better now!

Can anyone tell me if I can do anything for the garlic, or just write off this year and try again later?

Comments (7)

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Pandora, you did not state how long ago you've planted the bulbs, and I don't know the planting time for garlic in your area. But, my guess is that it's possibly not too late to separate the cloves and replant.

• pandora962
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I planted them about 2 weeks ago, but they already have stems about 4 inches on them.

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Two weeks ago with 4 inch stems should not be a problem. They can be separated and replanted. Regarding the second question, did you check the timing for planting garlic in your area?

• pandora962
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just checked the ACES and it shows Oct - Nov. That irritates me because I usually do more research than I did for these, and ASSUMED that since the stores had them along with everything else, it was time to plant.
    I will try to gently separate and replant. Losing a few won't kill me since now I'll have over 40 instead of just four!
    Thanks for your information! I appreciate the help!

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Pandora962, your experiment will provide you with valuable information, even if it fails. And who knows, the garlic may actually produce satisfactory results. I have not tried planting spring garlic. I'd be interested in knowing the results of your experiment.

I just this past weekend was in the checkout line at Lowes behind someone purchasing onion plants along with other normal springtime vegetables. I did not have the heart to tell them that onion plants are planted in late Novemeber and December in our area.

• pandora962
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just checked the ACES and it shows Oct - Nov. That irritates me because I usually do more research than I did for these, and ASSUMED that since the stores had them along with everything else, it was time to plant.
    I will try to gently separate and replant. Losing a few won't kill me since now I'll have over 40 instead of just four!
    Thanks for your information! I appreciate the help!

• pandora962
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry if this posts twice like the other, I keep getting a rejected page. I also planted scallions with the garlic! They were given to me by a friend with a crazy green thumb. Some of my biggest and best mistakes have turned out wonderful, so we shall see! Thanks for the info and I'll keep you posted. Plus, I'm sure I'll need more info before the spring is over!

Sponsored