Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion question

Posted by cassieinmass 6 Massachusetts (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 15:54

Well, after just planting well over 100 onions in my garden, the UPS guy dropped off a box of onion sets! All the great varieties such as red, white and yellow. LOL! I ordered them months ago, and forgot about them. Now I planted the plants, and am stuck with like 300 onion sets...
My question is, can I save those sets for next summer? -Cass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion question

You can store onion sets at 34F for quite a long time. Don't let them freeze. I know that Egyptian onion bulbs will last a year in refrigeration, but I'm not sure if regular onions will last a whole year, though.

o

Or you could send some to me...lol =)

o

• Posted by grandad usu-9a LA/Sunt28 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 15:27

Maybe you can plant some of the sets in large planter pots (or other areas) and harvest as green onions (or larger) while waiting for your other garden onions to produce. In December, I left about 70 extra onion plants in planter boxes and have used them for the last 2-3 months. All of the garden planted onions have just been harvested. However, the planter box onions (only about 20 left) are still growing and have small golf ball sized bulbs.

o

Is there a safe (no harm to plant, roots, bulb, etc.) way to see how large onion bulbs are getting? I know they get harvested when the plant part starts to die off, but that's about all I know.

o

Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 16:46

The size of the bulb should be visible above ground.

Granex Hybrid 3-29-09

o

oh...ok...I wonder if I buried mine too much then? I just bought a bunch of them on the 19th (ones from seed didn't work.:-\ ). They are growing like mad and seem to be quite healthy. They are about 2 inches taller than this now. Should I remove some of the soil from around them?

Photobucket

o

Onions take a long time to finish (I'm growing one that takes 120 days). Do not panic! Your onions have only been planted for 6 days so you have a long time before they start to bulb. From the picture it does not look like you planted too deeply.

Jon

o

Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 15:01

Agree with Jon, your onions look fine. The Granex 33 in the picture above are at about the 120 day point, and they were completely harvested last week (around April 21).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here