Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razkeys

Garlic

razkeys
10 years ago

Hi Guys, this year I did not plant cloves last Fall, however I have these sprouts which I can only imagine came from the seed, but can you see how close they are to each other (the plants...), do I dig up and separate? When I have tried that in years past it was very disappointing. Should I simply thin out to the strongest plant? Thanks in advance, looking forward to a great year. Mark

Comments (7)

• mckenziek
    10 years ago

Is it possible that you missed one head when you pulled up the garlic last year? So each clove in that head sprouted up? I am too inexperienced to suggest what the best thing to do is, but if it were me, I would just let it grow where it is and then harvest it.

--McKenzie

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    10 years ago

The picture is a bulb that probably got missed in last year's harvest. It can be divided, if one is careful. If not divided the bulbs this year will not be very large and may actually not even divide into cloves, but just stay rounds. I say give division a try, but you may want to leave the daughter plants as doubles instead of forcing the breakup to be all single stems.

• planatus
    10 years ago

We have an area outside of the garden where old shriveled garlic bulbs get scattered, and it's full of clumps like yours. This time of year I dig them, trim the individual plants to only the tender white shanks, and use them as gallions (garlic scallions). Very aromatic, but quite mild of flavor.

• razkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your comments. I am trying the "gallions" tonight in a dish with peppers and Zuchs.....I may try and separate but last year when I did that it was a wash,....I might be better off simply trading some produce with neighbors,....feel real dumb not having planted last year and I refuse to believe I could be successful planting in March or April missing on all that root development over the Fall and early spring....>Thanks guys

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

If you have pretty good soil, I'd dig and break it apart to plant each one 4" to 6" apart. Even if they don't make great heads of garlic, they'll probably make great rounds that can be planted in the fall to make huge heads next spring.

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

You could probably just leave it alone, and it will just turn into a clump of garlic growing close together given that they over-winter in your climate.

Here's and example of what happens when you leave a bulb in the ground for another year.
    {{gwi:362163}}

• razkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all,...I found trying to separate was a disaster,....They hated it and turned into spindly plants....Do it right and plant cloves in Fall....I will use them as "Gallions" per our friends post above,...thanks for pic stevelau and drmbear for comments

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services