Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap nitrogen

Posted by calm1 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 17:05

Hello all,
What can I use as a cheap source of nitrogen on onions & garlic? Preferably organic.
Thanks
Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap nitrogen

Ed, there are multiple meals such as alfalfa, which are pretty high in N, but they are also quite pricey and slower to release. I use ammonium sulphate: 21% N and $10 for 50 lbs at most farm supplies. It is also a good acidifier for blueberries.

Brook

o

My organic thoughts are:
Chicken manure
Feather meal
Blood meal
Fish meal

o

Alfalfa Meal is about $15.00 for a 50# bag at our local farm supply store. Cottenseed meal ( some do not consider this organic though ) is about the same, Blood Meal is a bit more pricey

o

Horse manure.
You may find some for free, if you can haul it.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 21, 10 at 22:25

I have a magic jug in the garage that fills itself with urea solution every day. It is totally free, totally organic, totally renewable, and that jug takes care of a large garden by itself. Trace minerals and K are also present in the solution. You only need to add water, 5 to 1, to further dilute the solution. Many GW members have such contraptions.

o

LOL, I was thinking of that urea solution myself, but couldn't quite bring myself to mention it. I haven't even told my kids what is fertilizing the tomatoes, although I suspect my son would be HAPPY to contribute. A bit TOO happy. Ah, 8-yo boys are eager to run around the yard "contributing" that sort of fertilizer!

Catherine

o

Is there anything that will fertilize the garden and repel bunnies? They are just wiping out my front garden, mowing down the violets, basil and peppers. They've even eaten the green onions that I planted as a barrier!
I've heard bloodmeal works but it seems to attract cats and dogs.

o

Hair... you could get it from a barber shop but if you're weirded out by that just use your families hair trimmings... I'm lucky to have a very hairy dog who also contributes :). Hair slowly releases nitrogen so it wont burn plants and it deters deer as well (yay for that!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here