Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

Ideal way to transplant Ramps (Allium tricoccum)

Though strongly related to this topic, my specific question wasn't hit on and the post got long and off topic so I thought a newer, more to-the-point post might be better:

I have a property that will support ramps, have successfully transplanted them there before and am about to do so again.

I'm wondering about what, if any, difference it might make whether I plant the entire ramp; root, bulb and greens as opposed to bulb only.

With daffodils, for example, I know it's best to leave the greens on as long as possible so they continue to nourish the bulb. With previous ramp transplants, though they successfully grew back following years, if I recall correctly, the greens died out immediately upon transplanting.

I'm more than willing to sacrifice short-term in exchange for long-term gains but, if transplanting the plant in whole is inconsequential, I'd rather eat than waste them.

Does the plant benefit by being transplanted in it's entirety, with greens attached?

Thanks

Comments (2)

• bluespiritartist
    10 years ago

Every place I move to I replant leeks (ramps) by whole plants (leaves,bulbs and roots) but also with the bulbs I eat, I cut roots off to eat the bulbs, I replant the roots, by tossing them in an area that supports them, it can take longer for them to regrow but they do regrow. Just leave a very small bit of white from the bulb base before tossing in whole.

• price403
    8 years ago

I know this is 2 years too late, but October is the time of year that I transplant ramps. If you transplant them in the fall the plants are dormant and do not suffer from transplant shock. I've never had a transplanted dormant bulb not sprout normally in the spring.

I look for the seed heads, harvest the seeds to move to a new area or scatter them uphill from where I have ramps growing to expand the patch. They will germinate over the next year or two, depending on the weather.

Gently remove the leaf litter to expose the tops of the bulb clusters. You'll see the pointed tips of bulbs with seed stalks and a few points from bulbs that did not make a seed head this year. Use a trowel or small hoe to dig above the cluster and pry the clump out of the ground. Shake the dirt from the roots and separate the bulbs. I replant the smallest of the bulbs where the cluster was dug up and it will grow back in a couple years.

Transplant the bulbs to their new growing spot. I like to space mine around 6 inches apart and cover the tips of the bulbs with an inch of dirt plus 3 or 4 inches of leaf litter, shredded leaves or grass clippings.

Do not harvest from your newly transplanted patch in the spring. It's best to wait 2 or 3 years so there will be a mixture of large, mature bulbs and smaller offsets and seedlings in the patch.

The dormant bulbs are easily twice the size that they are when they are actively growing and are an excellent addition to any dish you'd add ramps to in the spring.

Sponsored