Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scapes are out-Season 2013

Posted by iBarok 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 17:13

2nd year growing garlic and scapes are out. This is from an Ontario purple trillium rocambole garlic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scapes are out-Season 2013

You are proportionally ahead of us in 6B. My stuff gets planted around the first of October and gets harvested toward the first to the middle of June. It "scapes out" about May 20 -30.
Which brings up another thought - most guides say that garlic is 140 - 160 days from planting to harvest. Mine is always 240 - 250 days to 3 to 4 leaves browning out and harvest. Whazzup with that? Seems to work for me.
hortster

o

Hortster, DTM for garlic is going to depend on breaking dormancy and daylength-mediated bulb formation. I think 140-160 doesn't count the winter period when growth is slow or non-existent. If you plant them in the late winter/early spring (or count DTM from that time) it might be closer to 140-160.

o

That would make sense - if you take away the three months (Nov. 15 - Feb. 15) when the garlic is not growing here that would leave about 150±. The acronym should be GDTM!
hortster

o

Pretty! I can't wait til mine start scaping!

o

I noticed a few scapes forming on mine today...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here