Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic Scapes Already?

Posted by maryo25 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 17:15

Hi Everyone-

I was checking my garlic today and noticed scapes already!!! I'm in southern middle TN and I planted in October. Aren't they about a month early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic Scapes Already?

I am new to garlic - third year - but my garlic never went dormant this year.

I haven't yet seen scapes, but was wondering if my garlic will finish sooner???

The bases of some varieties are just huge! And some leaves are 4' tall.

I can't answer your question, but am interested to see if you harvest sooner then normal.

o

Well, looking back at my notes from last year, I cut my first scapes on May 12th, and pulled my first garlic on July 3rd. So maybe they are not early?? This is also my third year doing garlic. The first year they came up pretty good, last year I had a record number of small cloves, don't know why since I didn't plant any and this year I have some huge ones as well. (used all the small cloves for cooking!) I haven't really watered them at all, either, just a time or two when we didn't have any rain for a few weeks. This year if I get any small cloves I will re-plant them and use them as green onions!

o

No, not early for an early variety. My earliest varieties are just beginning to put out scapes, but the Early Italian Purple is starting to grow again, too, because we have had too much rain too late.

None of the porcelains, for example, nor the Korean Red or Rojo are showing any sign of a scape.

o

Here in northern ok. I have been pulling scapes 2 weeks ago and looks like i will be harvesting early here, plan on digging two early varieties in bout a week as they are dieing back already and have nice sized bulbs.\
Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here