Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic leaves turning yellow

Posted by dlmka 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 17:22

I have 4 varieties of garlic (Nootka Rose, Chesnok Red, Metechi,Red Inchelium) planted late October in Central IL. I noticed many of the lower leaves are turning yellow on the ends. Is this normal as the plant grows and new leaves fill in? I've got almost $100 invested in garlic and I want to catch any problems before it becomes a real problem. I dug one plant up where I must have planted two cloves or a split clove and it's beginning to bulb and the stalks are nice, thick and strong. This is my second year planting garlic, the first year it was generic grocery store garlic. I've still got the straw mulch around the plants and the bed is almost entirely weed free (go me!) I'll try to post some pictures tonight when I get home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic leaves turning yellow

It is normall for the lower leaves to turn yellow and dry up, as long as theere are 4, 5,6 or more green ones.

Make sure, you water them regularly so the soil is always moist and NEVER dried up.

o

They are heavily mulched with straw, even when the rest of the garden was dry and the soil worked up like powder it was still nice and moist under the straw.

o

I wouldn't worry if it's just the lower leaves. If the whole plant is yellowing, then it could use some nitrogen. Usually, this is an indication of TOO much water.

Brook

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here