Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dionhouston

Small onion 'weeds?'

dionhouston
17 years ago

Hi all:

Thanks in advance for your help. I can't even call myself an amateur gardener. :)

I went out to my yard today to begin tilling a plot when my daughter showed me an onion. They are growing all over my backyard (actually apparently throughout the neighborhood) and they're treated as weeds.

This area used to be pastureland or farmland and originally I thought perhaps onions were purposely grown here but my daughter again says the largest she's ever seen them get is an inch or two large. Plus when this house was built the yard was pretty well dug up.

Does anyone know about these plants? They look like regular onions as near as I can tell (I'm going to chop up some greens today and cook them). I'm in Eastern NC (Fayetteville) if that helps.

Thanks,

Dion

Comments (6)

• jean001
    17 years ago

Yes, they're weeds. Some people use them for cooking other folks say they're too strong.

• coho
    17 years ago

There is a wild onion that is about the size of chives. Strong odor when mowing.
    By your description, bulb is white and 1/2" to 1" in dia. The bulbs divide and they produce top sets which will all grow where they fall on the ground. If this, many people use them. Can be deadly to cattle and dogs, I understand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild onion

• gladgrowing
    17 years ago

Wild Onions are not a blessing here, but are so, so invasive in my garden areas. I LOVE to grown many alliums, and we use a lot of kinds here. I would make the wild onion go away, if i could. I sure wouldn't advise anyone to intentionally plant them. They are indeed very strong, and not a lovely flavor. Flowers are pretty in salads - that is about it.

• oldroser
    17 years ago

Not deadly to cattle or dogs - but cows that eat them have very highly flavored milk!
    Wild onion (or wild garlic as it's sometimes called) is a pernicious weed. Difficult to eradicate by cultivation though mowing close will eventually discourage it.

• dionhouston
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the followups. I apologize for not getting back sooner.

You have all confirmed they're edible and in fact weeds. I was pretty sure no one planted them. I am definitely not bright when it comes to gardening but I never realized any vegetable could grow like that. My kids enjoy plucking them so I'm not overly concerned about getting rid of them.

I don't remember seeing them any place I lived before hmmm.. What an adventure.

I'll try the bulbs some day to see how the flavor is.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Dion

• rescuefur
    16 years ago

I am interested to know if what people here in California call wild onions are what you are refering too. Mine have little bell shaped white flowers maybe 7-9 in spring. They are cute. Not allium type of bloom. I also have white allium type of wild something. I tried to find info here about if they can be eaten and no one could find info. The heads if the allium type fallover. Anyone know what I have? Thanks

Sponsored