Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving garlic in the spring

Posted by larry_c z6 Stl. Mo. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 18:42

I have these masses of garlic volunteers next to my regular bed. I assume they are from seed. I have about 3 dozen plants each year but I estimate there are 50 or more stalks in this volunteer grouping.

Has anyone every tried to thin these in the spring? Think it will be worth the effort to try to get bulbs or should I just cut the tops for salads and forget moving them.

CrAzY LaRrY
in St. Louie MO.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving garlic in the spring

I would try it. Alliums as a rule take well to transplanting. What you might lose due to transplant shock you will more than make up due to the plants having more growing room. You might get small bulbs this year, but they should size up when you replant for next year. The other option would be to wait until they mature and harvest all the little bulbs, which might all be singles. You'll probably get fewer that way, but still have decent planting stock.

o
RE: Moving garlic in the spring

My masses of volunteers are in an area beyond the garden where I've thrown out shriveled bulbs. This time of year I dig clumps and eat them like g'allions (garlic scallions).

They plants will grow if you dig a clump and transplant the ones that come away with roots attached, but they won't make big bulbs in my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here