Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Garlic, please help

Posted by PJDSR z7 VA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 18:49

I have had some success with tomatoes, cukes and peppers and herbs and decide this year to get much more ambitious.

About a month ago, I planted four garlic cloves in my deep, rich garden. They all have very nice sprouts, probably 10 inches tall, so they seem to be doing just fine.

My question is, what do I do now? I have read that a lot of people plant Garlic in the fall and keep them in the ground all winter. Do I have my seasons backwards? I'm in Zone 7, Northern VA, and we get some hot, humid summers. Is that going to be too much for my Garlic?

Thanks for any advice you are able to provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Garlic, please help

You're doing just fine! Sounds like you did what you were supposed to do and the garlic is doing what it was supposed to do. More than likely it was an early softneck which doesn't really care when it is planted in your area, fall or spring. We've long ago proved that all garlic may be spring-planted up here and learning that softnecks don't always survive fall planting. You'll get garlic bulbs in return for your efforts, no problem.

Martin

o

Thanks for the feedback and the support. I'm perfectly content to let it grow all season if that's what it takes. Doesn't garlic help to ward off pests? And I love the taste of garlic and cooking with garlic, so when harvest time comes, I will be excited. What do I do between now and then and when do Zone 7 folks harvest spring-sown garlic?

o

The most important thing to do between now and then is usually nothing. Keep the weeds away since garlic doesn't like to share. Soil should be moist but not wet; an inch of water per week should be OK. Along about July or early August, they'll start dying and you'll panic and ask us what's happening and why you are killing them. We'll tell you that it's normal. When about three-quarters of the leaves are dead or dying, pull them up and you should have a nice bulb under each plant. Then rush in and get on line and seek out the major garlic suppliers and place your order for some REAL garlic now that you'll have mastered one season. Along about late October or so, you'd plant them. All that after only 4 cloves. It's really a disease. You've already contacted it so you'll be growing garlic for the rest of your gardening years now!

Martin

o

In zone 7 east coast you will get better results planting in the Fall. It won't get as large as it would in a fall planting. It may form a solid instead of cloving. It will grow but try some next fall too. Martin is a world away in WI zone four and there summers are not as long and hot as ours.
The Garlic Lady

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 05 at 0:32

And in Z 7, you will want to start digging at 50 to 60 % dry leaves. Much more and wrappers start breaking down and storage suffers. Watering too long will cause same problem.

o

I agree things can be quite different for region to region. In our humid climate we harvest when 40-50 % of the leaves are brown.If you want a planting guide for zone 7 NC/VA let me know.
The Garlic Lady

o

Yes, I would love a planting guide for Zone 7. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here