Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Ideas?

Posted by bailey99 NH (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 20:02

Last fall I planted 5 lbs of Porcelain and 5 lbs of Rocambole in two raised beds of 5 rows each (5 rows of Rocambole in one bed and 3 rows of Porcelain + 2 rows of Rocambole in the other). This Spring, the Porcelain is doing fantastic, however the Rocambole is showing substantial yellowing on 90% of the plants. Each bed is roughly 3 feet wide and there is about 2 feet between the two beds. Any ideas?? (both types of planting stock were grown in the local region last year)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Ideas?

It seems unlikely that there is some soil difference in rows so close to one another but is it possible there's some unseen physical soil factor affecting the rows, like moisture or fertility or acidity?
I'd hate to worry you about major issues like botrytis but is is it possible you got infected seed garlic?

o

I can't see it being the soil, it's been worked for 10+ years and the seed stock is from the same source so I imagine if the Rocambole was infected the Porcelain would be as well. The contrast between the two is shocking. The Porcelain is picture perfect. Some of stalks as thick as my thumb already. Is it possible this could be a climate/acclimation issue? I'm about 40 miles north of the seed source, but at least 1000 ft higher in elevation (it did snow her two nites ago and it's in the lower 30s right now, but that's not really uncommon).

o

Might try hitting them with a bit of Nitrogen (Urea type lawn fertilizer works well). Garlic loves Nitrogen at this stage, and perhaps the Rocamboles are more sensitive.

My Rocamboles (German Red, Killarney Red, Spanish Roja, and Russian Red) and my Porcelains (German White) are equal and beautiful and richly green.

TomNJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here