Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental allium question

Posted by jen26 USDA zone 6/MO (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 21:15

This might be the dumbest allium question ever! I'm in zone 6...if I plant ornamental alliums, say Globemaster, is this something I plant once and leave in the ground? Do I lift the bulbs and overwinter? Do they continue to bloom year after year, or are they more like tulips, fading with time? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental allium question

Hi Jen,
Not a dumb question. Here in lovely Zone 4, we leave them in the ground year after year to multiply and bloom for years. I believe alliums need a chill period like tulips and daffs to bloom. Globemaster is a great allium to grow. I would consider it even with the extra chilling work.
Sally

o

I'm in zone 6 and love ornamental alliums but they seem to peter out after a couple of years. As I hear about them multiplying in other gardens, I wonder what I am doing wrong. I don't water my garden except in extreme drought so it isn't that.

o

Globemaster has the rep of lasting only a couple years here. It is pricey also. cathy

o

I've planted alliums, but the flowers are never as large as the catalog photos look like, whats the deal? I love those huge blue balls of flowers.

o

if left to go to seed do these seeds germinate and grow and flower?

Debbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here