Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dowbright_gw

Is Elephant Garlic nutritional, or useful in ways garlic is?

dowbright
14 years ago

Does it TASTE good? Could I serve it as a side to say, pot roast, or roast it right in there?

I have always heard that this was just a novelty plant--little real value--but now I'm a-wonderin'!

Thanks!

Paula

Comments (10)

• wcthomas
    14 years ago

Hi Paula,

Elephant garlic is in the leek family, but does have a mild garlic flavor. You can use it just as you would garlic.

TomNJ

• kristincarol
    14 years ago

Elephant garlic is much milder than other types of garlic. It is generally used raw, or at least, if you cook it there is hardly any flavor to it. Met an older gentleman at the Co-op who said he made sandwiches with it--bread, mayo and sliced garlic. Haven't tried that myself as I prefer a stronger flavor in my garlic.

• garliclady
    14 years ago

It is in the leek family , I wouldn't use it raw as the taste is rather bitter. It is great for general cooking and adds a garlicy /onion flavor that is nice to use in dished that you might not put garlic in. I especially like it roasted with meats and poultry. Always stuff my thanksging turkey with it... it makes the best gravy with the drippings. It keeps for over a year so it will always have a place in my pantry and on our garlic farm. I will use the "real" garlic for those real garlic recipes and leave my elephant for roasting with meats and vegetables

• negi
    14 years ago

Elephant Garlic is indeed a wonderful leek. Here in 8b, on a slope, it will survive horrible drought, competition with grass and weeds, and total neglect. Used in a Creme of Leek soup, it is outstanding. Used in vichysoisse it is amazing. Latkes made with Elephant Garlic are also beyond belief.

These are all made with fresh, lively plants, not dormant bulbs. The bulbs, you roast in the wrappings, and then squeeze the soft creamy center out onto a nice cracker and enjoy the amazing flavor of a roasted garlic spread.

When cooking with leeks and onions, remember that the nutrition is in the greens and root hairs. If you toss the root hairs you are tossing the potassium. Most recipes demand that you toss the green part of the leek. Foolish that would be. The green tops are divine cooked in.

One more secret. The flowers, the big lovely flowers are very tasty indeed. Sweet, floral, onion-garlic spice. Toss a few in a salad, the flowers alone are worth keeping the plant for.

Check out the link for flower pictures and proof that elephant garlic can compete with weeds.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Remember the Elephant Garlic

• xxx1angel3xxx
    14 years ago

came here to ask another question but ran across your post.
    I haven't tried elephant garlic but, this is something I plan to try.
    take one elephant garlic per person, and cut of the tops.
    put a pat of butter on each or brush olive oil on each if you prefer.
    a little pepper and a little salt
    roast in an oven for 45 min
    and with a knife dig out cloves and spread on crusty bread
    for more info check out Rachel Rays web site
    seen this on the tv the other day and it made me hungry

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

Like most people, I have had the impression that EG must be stronger in flavor, because it is bigger?
    But now I know it is the mildest for raw flavoring(salad dressing, yougurt dips etc).
    I have some growing right now and hopefully I will harvst them in 3 weeks or so.
    I will plant more this coming fall.

10 years ago

Mine is bitter.

• zqnmegan
    10 years ago

the same elephant garlic will taste differently to each person - our genetic makeup determines whether or not it tastes bitter:)

Here is a link that might be useful: ability to taste bitterness

• roo taylor
    6 years ago

Hi, has anybody growing Elephant Garlic experienced it tasting metallic? It's ruined a few of my dishes, either shallow frying or roasting. With is with and without using metal instruments in the preparation or cooking process. Most frustrating as I lifted 96 bulbs last year and am not sure what to do with them.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

I suspect there are different strains of elephant garlic, too, although the seed and nursery catalogs don't seem to make any difference. My ground is still frozen, but my eg which started to sprout early last fall, seems to be recovering and is starting to show green shoots on the inside.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations