Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting Garlic already?

Posted by outdoor_andy 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 23:06

This is the first year I planted Garlic. I used typical garlic cloves from the grocery store (organic). I planted it in late December in a raised garden bed and it sprouted out in mid-late February. They have been growing nicely, but now I have noticed a few of the leaves falling over. Some of the fallen leaves are browning and some are still green. The base of the stems are about the width of a pinky finger.
Everything I have read says that when the leaves start to fall, it is time to harvest. It is time already or is something else going on? I thought it would take a lot longer than this. Does it normally take less than 2 months from sprouting to harvest?
Any thoughts would be helpful.--Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting Garlic already?

I don't know how garlic grows in Arizona, but the general rule for harvest is when about half of the leaves are yellow/brown, or if you prefer, when only about 3-4 green leaves remain. Garlic often falls over before this stage. If yours are still mostly green, I would leave them in the ground.

Here in NJ, harvest comes from late June to mid July depending on the variety of garlic. Grocery store garlic is usually a softneck artichoke type, which mature earlier than hardnecks. I would expect harvest to be earlier in your warmer Arizona climate, but April seems too early to me.

You might want to pull one to see how the bulb is developing.

TomNJ

o

Andy, it is way too early to harvest your garlics now. Probably they will be ready by late June or July. I have planted mine last October(in Z 8) and I should be able to harvest them in June. Yesterday I dug one out to use as green. No bulb there yet. It looks like leeks at this point.

o

Won't be harvesting the earliest of the garlic until the middle of June here, but the gophers have broken into my largest raised bed and are doing some of their own harvesting as we speak. So far I am only down a dozen or so plants, but know they will take the rest of them before they are ready to harvest.

o

This is great info to know, as the same thing is happening to some of my garlic. 4-5 of the 10 or so I planted in the late Fall last year have about half their leaves turning brown.

o

Keep watering and fertilizing and be patient. Fall planted garlics (OCT-NOV) will not be ready before mid June or there about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here