Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallots pollination/seeds

Posted by bardamu RI 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 23:23

I'm a huge fan of shallots. I bought shallot seeds from Johnny's about a year ago and I'm really excited because I see rows of sprouts coming up. But there are two varieties next to one another. One variety is red, and the other is golden. Will the seeds be usable as separate strands?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallots pollination/seeds

I grow the seed-sown shallots from Johnny's and other sources. These are all hybrids that may not breed true from seed, but will keep their characteristics when vegetatively propagated. In my experience these shallots stay dormant all the way to spring, so they can be regrown by planting selected shallots outdoors in late winter/early spring. We eat them up by then. The seedlings are so vigorous, uniform and dependable that I just start over every year with seeds, which are viable for at least two years under good storage conditions.

o

Hello Planatus. Are you saying you buy new seeds because you want to keep using the hybrids?

I don't mind that they won't be hybrid once they seed, but I do care that the red shallots won't mingle with the gold dutch since they are next to one another. Do you know if these two cross pollinate?

Thanks in advance.

o

I would think that the two would cross pollinate. But shallots are usually propagated vegetatively, by replanting selected shallots. When my shallots bloom I cut off the spike, but you will need to stake it up and let it mature for 6+ weeks to get a good seed crop. I would suggest growing only one variety for seed per year, which would mean removing flowers from all other shallots and multiplying onions in bloom at the same time as your seed crop.

I grow and value several heirloom alliums, but when it comes to shallots and bulb onions, I get the best quality and productivity from selected hybrid varieties. Our garden goal is to feed ourselves well, and shallots store better and longer than any other onions, so we gotta have them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here