Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mckenziek_gw

garlic harvest and scape cutting

mckenziek
10 years ago

I just noticed scapes on my garlic. Not sure when they formed. I gather from reading threads here that I should cut them off, and that they may be tasty. Do I cut right above the last pair of leaves?

Where I live, we have no rain this time of year. I have been watering them. Should I cut off water now or wait a bit?

Some lower leaves seem to be dying off, so I don't think harvest time is too far off.

Gophers got a lot of my plants, but I still have around 9 of them. Next year I will plant in raised beds with HW cloth on the bottom.

I'm going to start another thread to ask about planting times in my climate.

--McKenzie

Comments (9)

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

I thought gophers didn't like garlic. I have gophers and they didn't bother my garlic patch at all. Interesting...
    I am not sure on your questions so I will leave that to the pros. I was also wondering how to cut scapes.
    I also read that garlic hates soggy soil so to only water them in drought like conditions, and definitely cut back watering close to harvest time.

• mckenziek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips!

There are a LOT of myths about gophers. I have dealt with them a fair amount over the last 4 or 5 years. I have trapped several of them after they ate the garlic, so I am completely sure that they are gophers and that they were eating the garlic.

The typical scenario is that the plant looks kind of wilted. You gently tug at the leaves, and they come right out of the ground. There are no roots and no bulb.

Dig a hole, where the plant was and you find the gopher tunnel leading away horizontally. Set a trap in the tunnel and come back in a few hours or at most 24 hours. There is your gopher in the trap. I tell you all this so you won't go off with any doubt that maybe I am mistaken or it wasn't really a gopher. ;-)

--McKenzie

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

I'm with you on the gophers. I have planted in raised beds for over a decade (more like a decade and a half.) It is the only way to get anything.

World is full of doubting Thomases, btw. Don't bother with them, okay?

I live in coastal Northern California and I do have to water especially in a dry year as this one is turning out to be. About the time the scapes appear it is good to cut back or in my case, wait for the next shower which is enough, but harvest is a couple three weeks after the scapes appear.

• Mark
    10 years ago

I certainly agree about gophers eating garlic, at least mine do. Gopher mounds are easily confused with those that the moles make and while gophers eat plants, moles eat insects, grubs, compost, and other things, but not garlic. Some people may think they have gophers in the garden but instead have moles.

With only 9 plants, it should be possible to regulate the moisture easily. I'd keep the soil moist but not boggy up till 5 days before harvest, then cut it off. This way the heads can put on maximum size, but still have a dry skin at harvest (which makes nicer looking garlic) and some moisture in the soil to make digging easier.

My scapes are just starting and the heavy rain we're having is great for sizing up the garlic. I can only hope the weather cooperates, there's no way I can regulate moisture with 5000 ft of garlic to dig!

-Mark

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

I didn't mean to sound like i was doubting that gophers ate your garlic, just sharing my experience and what i heard.

• mckenziek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AiliDeSpain,

Thanks! It wasn't so much that I thought you were doubting, as I wanted to leave you (and others who find this thread through google) with no doubt. Sorry if it sounded like I accused you. I am genuinely grateful to people like you who help by sharing knowledge.

I kept finding this set of forums when searching various gardening topics, and that is why I finally decided to join.

--McKenzie

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

Mckenzie, I have had my own gardenweb threads pop up when googling so I know what you mean! LOL!

• Mark
    10 years ago

After re-reading the op I realized nobody answered about the scapes.

Most hardnecks make scapes that grow up, make a curl and then continue up. If you break them too soon, the scape continues to grow and sap the plant for energy needed for the head to form. I wait till the scape makes it's curl, then break it at the base where it meets the top leaf.
    If you grow a variety that doesn't curl, wait till it's at least a foot long from the leaf.

Scapes are great when cooked for a short time. If you cook them for more than a minute or so, they start to lose their flavor. They also make a great salad dressing when put in a blender with some oil and vinigar (salt, pepper, herbs, etc)

-Mark

• mckenziek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mark!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County