Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenyadenola_gw

Fertilizing after scapes appear

kenyadenola
16 years ago

I planted several varieties of garlic this year, including hardnecks.This is my first year with hardnecks and so far I have harvested my early planting of German Red. I was a little late in noticing the scapes, but once I saw them I cut them off. About a week after I cut them off I decided to check and see how big the bulbs were. I was shocked, they were huge and ready to dig.

I decided to check my other bed and some of them were ready as well even though they had been planted at a later date, but they were much smaller. I attribute some of the difference in size to the fact that the first ones I dug up were spaced six inches apart as opposed to the four inch spacing I used on the later planting. I am also noticing that the majority of them are still small and have not yet divided.

The majority of the second bed has sent up scapes, but by looking at the leaves, they are not yet ready to dig. So finally my question is, is it to late to do one last round of fertilizing with Espoma Plantone 5-3-3. I know that fertilizing to late in the game can be detrimintal, but like I said, a lot of them are rather small and they still have a lot of green leaves left, but they have sent up scapes.

Sorry if this post is sort of unorganized, but I am trying to do it fast, my apologies. If anyone can give me any advise that would be great.

Sincerely,

Kenya

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert