Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnt_gw

Rescued ornamental alliums

lynnt
13 years ago

Good morning!

I live in the suburbs of Washington DC, Z7b. Last week on my way to work I encountered a county crew refreshing one of the local municipal flower beds. They were digging up the tulips and alliums in preparation for putting in summer annuals. To make a long story short, I rescued about two dozen ornamental onion bulbs, already shorn of their leaves and scapes, as well as dozens of flower scapes.

1) What is the best way to dry the scapes for flower arrangements: hang them upside down? Stick them upright in a vase? Something else?

2) I've read enough through this forum to understand that it's best to plant alliumd in Fall to avoid rot during dormancy. OK, how should I store them meanwhile? In the fridge? In a mesh bag in the basement? Should I spread them out to dry for a while first -- if so, how long/how do I know they're ready?

3) Several of the scapes have small bulbils on them. How to plant these: on the soil surface? Buried? How deep?

I looked for a forum FAQ but don't see one, just a thread with a series of good questions...

Many thanks!

LynnT

Comment (1)