Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly_adams8725

garlic interplanting/succession planting??

Molly Adams
9 years ago

i have used up soooo much of my veggie garden for garlic....i had a great crop last year and went hog wild. so....what would you suggest planting after i harvest in july and have tons of space available again? also, is there something that could grow simultaneously in the garlic beds next year? puzzled, since i will have to disturb the area to harvest garlic. i am in ri, zone 5ish. thanks!

Comments (7)

• mav72
    9 years ago

Hi, I answered your question on the other post. After July, it would have to be something that can be harvested quick or can deal with cool temps. Depending on the temperature, weather, growing season, and the time of year you can grow from a list of companion plants, like this one. Look under onions if you can't find garlic. Maybe, cool weather plants like lettuce can be grown when cool and then switch over to peppers when it warms up? You'd probably have to work out a strategy that works for you in your area.

http://www.almanac.com/content/plant-companions-list-ten-common-vegetables

There are other larger companion lists. I just looked this up real quick. The link looks sort of off but that's how my tablet is copying/pasting it...

• planatus
    9 years ago

I have done well with bush beans sown the day the garlic comes out in early July. Another option is to sow buckwheat as a nurse crop and open up holes in the buckwheat for setting out seedlings of fennel, cabbage and broccoli in subsequent weeks. If you start seeds now in containers, you may have luck with winter squash, too. When planted after garlic, my winter squash need to go in as bulky seedlings to make a crop, first frost date Oct 10.

• kristincarol
    9 years ago

I currently have potatoes and summer squash planted and have also grown peas after garlic. Since I grow in raised beds I leave several beds fallow for a couple of seasons to help with virus and other diseases (hope there aren't any others!)

• makalu_gw
    9 years ago

I've normally done bush and pole beans, a second planting of cucumbers followed by fall greens (lettuce / spinach and the like). The last couple of years, I've also taken most of my container basil and put it in the garlic beds and it's worked out really well.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

Turnips: "plant the 25th of July wet or dry." Try the old fashioned yellow ones, but all turnips are better in the fall than in the spring.

A lot of coles, are best after a fall frost. Many do not head up if spring planted but bolt directly to seed. Try Chinese cabbage, bok choy, and napa, turnips as stated, carrots, broccoli, check out early Brussels sprouts and cabbages (cabbages aren't just for spring), collards, kale, mustards. And of course late lettuce, peas, and do not over look the daikons and Chinese or winter radishes. Quick growing herbs like basil are another possibility. Later on salad radishes, they will be sharp if grown in hot weather, but there are some to grow for their edible seed pods even then.

You don't have to go much farther south to find a whole traditional set of snap beans to be planted for fall harvest (from the heritage seed folks mostly).

In the gardens my mother kept as I was growing up, she always planted annual flowers after pulling crops that were done. Marigolds, corn flowers, calendula, petunias, balsam, 4 o'clocks, morning glories in the fence lines, etc. She would shop the overage or clearance seed racks for cheap seeds, plant thick and thin a bit resulting in lots of late color. It was amazing how many of them eventually self-sowed.

The harvested garlic beds are also perfect for green manure crops, too. There are all kinds of tender legumes that can be tilled under after being frosted if you work the ground in the fall, as you would have to for fall garlic planting and somewhat hardier ones that will winter kill and can be worked in after spring thaw.

Of course, nothing says you can't start harvesting garlic now for fresh eating. You don't have to wait for the scapes to eat it green. You can harvest the bulbing plants early, too. You will be surprised at how many of them still cure out nicely, or you can cook with those, too.

I did the same as you, planted way too much garlic last fall, and it all came. I intend to start harvesting very soon and not wait for fully mature bulbs, there will be enough of those anyway. I planned to dig the tulips I interplanted about now anyway, no reason I can't take some of the garlic and open up some planting spaces.

• Molly Adams
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, all!!! great info, just what i was looking for. happy may!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County