Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forgotten garlic dug now, how to replant

Posted by gardeningwithbaby zone 4 NE (My Page) on
Fri, May 5, 06 at 11:22

2 years ago I planted a bunch of garlic cloves and forgot about them. They are in the middle of the herb garden and getting crowded out. I went out this morning and dug up most of them. They are in bunches where the cloves split up and made lots of baby plants. Now what should I do. I don't really want to put them back because the mints are rampent all over the place, and my DH tills the veggie garden and isn't too careful. So should I make a special bed for the garlic?? How should I plant them.

Stacie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forgotten garlic dug now, how to replant

I've never tried to move garlic once it's leafed out so I'm not sure how ultimately successful you'll be. Ideally, garlic likes to be planted in the fall in northern areas, have a few inches of mulch thrown on its head and be left mostly alone until July or later and tilling would make it really unhappy.

If you have the space, a special bed would be great. I'd recommend separating the baby plants and getting them into the ground as soon as possible. If you have any amendments available, garlic does well in well drained, rich soil so till in some compost and bonemeal if possible. Plant the growing cloves around 5-6 inches apart if you're using intensive planting - I don't use rows so I don't know that spacing - and water them in well to set the roots and get them going. Definitely keep the weeds away from them this season and see if they take off for you.

Since they've been disturbed and started life crowded, at harvest time this year you may end up with only a large, single clove rather than a head or a small head of garlic. Just cure them down and re-plant this fall and you should have a much better crop next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here