Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pranavida

Growing Shallots in Costa Rica / Tropical

PranaVida
9 years ago

I live in Costa Rica in the tropical lowlands. It is hot and humid here, and we are just about to enter our rainy season.
I have brought in a bunch of tropical shallots, the smaller kind that I found in Bali and I'm looking for advice.
I will be growing them under cover because of the rains. I have an area covered by clear plastic material and several half barrels filled with good soil. I have some tropical greens that do great all year long using this system.
The last time I tried tropical shallots they did well for a little while. Greens were out up from the bulbs, but then it all disappeared.
I'm guessing that it was some sort if insect, but I don't know for sure.
Two specific questions:
One, all that I read on shallots asks for "full sun" this is not the case when they are under cover, since there is plastic blocking the full sun.
Will this method work to produce a crop?
Also, is there an effective natural product to keep the pests from the soil itself?
I believe that the damage last time must have been from below.
ANY help with info specific to growing shallots, or even onions, in the tropics would be greatly appreciated.
I grow several plants for my Thai recipes here, and the shallot is the only one eluding me.
Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored