Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn9643

The garlic is hanging in the shed

glenn9643
17 years ago

This year's crop seemed to be generally smaller than last.

Possibly due to the very mild winter and early spring? I was expecting (hoping) to see an overall improvement as the garlic "acclimated" but things don't always go as we want!

The creole varieties did seem to do a little better this year but I don't believe they were up to their potential.

Music: last year did pretty well, but this year most died and the bulbs were rotting in the ground. I've salvaged a few bulbs and will probably plant a few in hopes for a colder winter. Average bulb size 1-1/2", and largest 1-3/4"

Lorz Italian: lost a few bulbs but most were OK. Size is less than last year. Average 1-3/4" and largest 2"

Siberian: lost about 30%, and remaining bulbs were small. Average 1-3/4" and largest 2-1/4".

Xian: Little if any loss, but bulb size down from last year. Average 2" and largest 2-1/2"

Shantung Purple: Average 2-1/4" and largest 3"

Chinese Pink: Average 2" and largest 2-1/4"

And the Creoles... overall they seem to have done better this year than last.

Ajo Rojo Creole: Average 1-3/4" and largest 2"

Creole Red: Average 1-7/8" and largest 2-1/4"

Burgundy Creole: Average 1-1/2" and largest 1-7/8"

Spanish Morado Creole: Average 1-3/4" and largest 2"

I really don't have any idea what I should be expecting so far as bulb sizes, so I guess I'll compare next year to this and last year. Tried a search on the forum, but there wasn't much information regarding bulb size for different varieties.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz