Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic Scapes, did not know what I was missing!

Posted by glane1219 northern OK. (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 05 at 12:31

Hi evryone! I never knew what I had been missing, I had always broken off my scapes and threw them down in the garden before this year. But after hearing how good they were I picked them off my Music and Maitake plants yesterday and the wife fixed them up last night, you can bet the rest of them from now on won't go to waste.
I have over 1500 plants this year so I plan on chopping the scapes up and freezing the ones we don't use fresh.
Just saying if you have been throwing them away like me you need to give them a try, I think Garlic Lady has some recipes posted on a previous thread.
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic Scapes, did not know what I was missing!

1500 plants?! Wow! I only have 225, and planning on doing 500-600 next year (though I wondered if that was going to be a little too far).. I guess not! What do you do will that enormous harvest?

o

Hi, I sell some on Ebay and keep all my friends and relatives supplied, and I like to try new varieties here to see which will grow the best.
Gary

o

We grow about 40.000 plus on our farm. 2/3 of garlic's produce scapes but they come over a 4-6 week period. We do sell ours and dehydrate any we don't sell .
The Garlic Lady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here