Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glane1219

Garlic Scapes, did not know what I was missing!

glane1219
18 years ago

Hi evryone! I never knew what I had been missing, I had always broken off my scapes and threw them down in the garden before this year. But after hearing how good they were I picked them off my Music and Maitake plants yesterday and the wife fixed them up last night, you can bet the rest of them from now on won't go to waste.

I have over 1500 plants this year so I plan on chopping the scapes up and freezing the ones we don't use fresh.

Just saying if you have been throwing them away like me you need to give them a try, I think Garlic Lady has some recipes posted on a previous thread.

Gary

Comments (3)

• UncleJohn
    18 years ago

1500 plants?! Wow! I only have 225, and planning on doing 500-600 next year (though I wondered if that was going to be a little too far).. I guess not! What do you do will that enormous harvest?

• glane1219
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, I sell some on Ebay and keep all my friends and relatives supplied, and I like to try new varieties here to see which will grow the best.
    Gary

• garliclady
    18 years ago

We grow about 40.000 plus on our farm. 2/3 of garlic's produce scapes but they come over a 4-6 week period. We do sell ours and dehydrate any we don't sell .
    The Garlic Lady

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio