Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I purchase short day sweet onion plants

Posted by lakedallasmary 8a (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 12:37

I have been hunting the web for texas sweet onion plants for sale. coming up empty. In our area we plant onions in the fall. They have to be short day.

Please post a link or two for sweet onions that will be available in the fall. I live in texas and I feel the closer the source the better.

Any sweet vidailia type is ok.

Do the north folks plant onions in the fall or spring?

I never have planted onions before. so forgive me, so the questions.

I searche garden web for plants sources, but must have not used the correct words to find anything.

Onen more thing, I did findone source and they are selling 60 plants. That is way too many onions!!! Maybe 25 is good.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I purchase short day sweet onion plants

Dixondale is the only one I know of, offhand, that might be able to help. But it's rare that they have plants available in the fall. You may have to purchase seed and try starting them yourself.

60 per bundle is a misnomer, by the way. The way Dixondale packages them, you're more likely to find 100-120 in the bundle.

Don't mean to sound like a wise guy, but why would you bother growing just 25 onions. For that small a number, I'd just buy them in the market and be done.

o

I looked it up again, and I guess seeds in the fall
and plants in the spring. I messed up I guess.

I would think any veggie would tastes better home grown.

Short day onions do not keep like the long day ones, is why I do
not want 60 all at once. Plue there are only 2 in my family that eat onions. I personally hate them.

I think I may get the huge package of 120 and share
what I can't plant. I would like room for something in
my garden besides onions!

o

Mary, it isn't short day-length onions per se that don't keep. The ones that don't keep are the sweet onions. There are short-day length varieties that will keep very nicely, though. Amish Bottle onions, for instance, keep at least 9 months. Maybe more, but I've never had them last long enough to check.

Onions don't have to take up much room. You can plant them 4" apart, either in rows or en block. Plus, because they are a great companion plant, you can just tuck them in here and there throughout the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here