Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audreyaronoff

Wild alliums - when to plant?

Audrey McDermott
9 years ago

I was out at the family ranch over the weekend, and my mom gave me a few tiny bulbils off of some wild garlic that she had harvested. We still do not have an official positive ID on the exact type of garlic, but the foliage looks a lot like the society garlic that I have seen at a local nursery - flat and tall, like a leek or an iris. It also does not form cloves, but looks more like an onion, but the taste and smell are both very garlicky. Does anyone happen to know what variety this could possibly be growing wild in the Texas hill country with absolutely no irrigation? It's only one patch, and it grows right on the edge of a thicket of shrubs/trees. I should have taken a picture, but my phone/camera was dead. She eats the stuff ALL THE TIME, so we know it's definitely edible. I want to try to grow the little bulbils in my Dallas garden. Should I plant them now or cure them and wait until fall? Typically we plant garlic cloves in October around here. If I can plant them now, should I go ahead and plant them straight into the garden, or should I start them indoors and baby them under lights until fall planting season?

I also ended up with a big handful of seeds from some wild onions - these things grow like mad around the property. The seeds (or perhaps seed pods?) are still green, but they released very easily off the scapes. Did I take them too early? Can I plant them now, or should I let them dry? Since they do grow so prolifically, I assumed that they must reseed themselves this time of year, just by dropping the seed to the ground. If that's the case, and if I should plant now, do I surface sow/barely cover? Any advice is much appreciated. My allium experience is limited to Texas Super Sweet onions, which I always plant from starts in Jan/Feb and garlic started from cloves in the fall. I've never grown any wild alliums or even chives for that matter.

Thanks for your help!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor