Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloosquall

ISO monster Roja

bloosquall
15 years ago

I'm in search of 4-5 pounds of the biggest Spanish Roja bulbs you can grow. I'd like to find some 2 1/2 - 3" bulbs if possible.

Comments (12)

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Aren't we all!

I planted a few rows of Spanish Roja this year from bulbs that size, purchased at the garlic festival in Saugerties, NY last year. I'll see how they turn out in another month, but so far the plants are strong.

Nice website!

TomNJ

• bloosquall
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I was sure somebody out there planted some biggies last year. I can't see spending $22.00 a pound for bulbs although I've done it in the past. Please keep me in mind once they're cured...maybe I can prey some out of your hands

Actually I don't even need that much as I'm sure some mine will size up. But, 20 would be nice.

Thanks for the compliment, wait til after harvest it'll get better.

Travis

• bloosquall
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom

Have you harvested yet over over there? Just checking in to see how harvest was if you're already done. I still have 2 weeks at least here in Wa.

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Hi Travis,

Not yet - all my garlic was fully green and upright as of last week (been on vacation since) except for the Kettle River Giant, which should be ready this coming week. I would expect at least another two weeks for the Spanish Roja.

Tom

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Hi Travis,

Just finished pulling my Spanish Roja but they came in smaller than the seed bulbs. Mine are running in the 1.75 - 2.25 range while the seed was about 2.5".

I'll be going up to the Hudson Valley Garlic Festival in Saugerties NY at the end of September, so if you want me to look for 2.5+" Roja's, just let me know.

TomNJ

• bloosquall
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy Tom,

How many bulbs of Roja do you have? if you're like me I save all the biggest ones for myself to replant. ummm...let me think here. If you could handle parting with 10 of your big ones I'm sure interested. I have a good friend with 28,000 plants and 30 varieties in Montana...1600 of them are Roja. I can buy them from him for $11.00 lb seed price. I want to get a couple different "bloodlines" going.

Write me at my site address or tweedman@gotvc.net so we can discuss this further. Thanks for remembering

• sugarshane1313
    15 years ago

sorry for jumping in, but i'm really looking for garlic and you guys have or can obtain what i'm looking for.(kettle river,musik,georgain crystal,roja and any kind of potato onion). check out my list for possible trade. just pulled all my garlic this week. just looking for a 2-3 bulbs. will pay if no trade wanted.
    thanks.........Jim

• bloosquall
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim, I can cover the Music and Georgian Crystal, My Roja is medium that I would sell, still good seed just not huge

Travis

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Hi Travis,

I only planted 60 Spanish Roja and they are not very large, ranging from 1.5" to 2.2". Only a handful are over 2" and I'd like to use these for seed.

The Hudson Valley Garlic Festival in late September (http://www.hvgf.org) is the largest in the east with dozens of growers offering many varieties at reasonable prices. The Rojas I bought there last year were quite large, about 2.5", but unlike some other varieties they didn't do as well in my garden. If you are interested in some other "bloodlines" I am willing to shop for you at the festival and ship them out. In particular I can recommend the German White which is a huge 2.5+" beautiful porcelain with very tall, vigorous plants. These and the Music came in equal to the seed bulbs while the others (German Red, Kettle River, Inchelium, Romanian Red, German Extra Hearty, Spanish Roja) were smaller.

Tom

• bloosquall
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom,

That sounds great, I am interested in having someone like you at the festival to pick up a few bulbs for me. the roja and German White is what I'll be after. I'll keep in touch.

Thank you

• sugarshane1313
    15 years ago

thanks guys,Tom email me. Travis,sent you a email.
    Jim

• garlicman2
    15 years ago

@ bloosquall;
    I can send you 2 1/2-3" Spanish Roja Immediately w/none less than 2 3/4" averaging a third of a pound each as weighed on my electronic market scale. 1.360.482.4948
    Price is $16 pound plus $10 s&h fee,over $100 sale s&h will be waived.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH