Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garliclady_gw

to planters of spring garlic...

garliclady
18 years ago

...how long from spring planting till garlic is ready to be pulled for green garlic ? I am still trying to figure out timing on when to plant to get a green garlic harvest in october & november

The Garlic Lady

Comments (8)

• ksrogers
    18 years ago

The garlic I planted went in in the fall (about mid September) and is now more than a foot tall in height. I must assume that if they were planted in early spring, that they would probably have some decent greens by mid summer. If they send up scapes then they may not continue to grow much in the way of greens. If thats the case, then you can seperate the cloves and replant in the fall about mid October. Have you considered growing garlic grass. The greens from that are a bit milder, but you usually get more greens and these don't usually reduce any bulb growth under ground, as they are left there all the time from year to year

• byrdzeye
    18 years ago

If this is any help at all, heres a pic of garlic planted on Apr 18, 37 days ago. Longest leaves are about 12 inches.
    Ignore the largest plant in the pic, its the sole survivor of my fall planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:362920}}

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Garlic Lady, in order to have a lot of garlic greens in your desired time frame, you'd almost have to start with bulbils. Even then, you'd have to be selective as to variety. Garlic is rapidly becoming much more interesting when playing with bulbils. An unknown mix ended up spending all winter in the compost area. From those that I see on the surface, they were around a quarter-inch and bigger but not from my old topsetter. Most of those which took root now have 2 or 3 leaves and will probably make a fair-sized round if allowed to continue growing. On the other hand, an effort to grow a huge quantity of Music rounds is going to take longer. Out of perhaps 4 or 5 hundred plants, most are still only a single thin leaf. Only a few dozen are now making a second leaf. Many of the Music bulbils weren't much larger than a grain of wheat so they take awhile to develop into a large plant. They may be the ones for fall garlic greens. One snag may be that they would still need to be planted in the fall. Those that are up now were fall-planted. I held some back for planting this spring. 6 weeks or so later, I'm still waiting for the first spear to appear from those several hundred bulbils.

Martin

• garliclady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't want garlic Greens I want Green Garlic (Garlic Scallions) My plan was to take grocery store garlic (the kind that always wants to sprout ) and put in the fridge for a while and then plant for green garlic to be harvested october- november. Since the Fall garlic planted here grows some during the fall & winter I don't have a time frame for when green garlic would be ready to pull up if it grew continuously like spring planted garlic does.

For you who plant in the spring how many weeks does it take from planting time till green garlic could be pulled??? (my guess is 2 months is that right? )

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Garlic Lady, I've got a gut feeling that it isn't going to be that simple.

Most of the folks we know who spring-plant garlic are in the north. So, in a sense, this is all new ground. Things like day-length, summer temps, and other environmental factors could have an effect. The variety, too, could determine what happens when.

I'm thinking that you're going to have to experiment with succession plantings; maybe a scedule of every three weeks or once/monthly, starting near the end of June?

If I had to guess, I would think that planting in mid-August would provide a mid-October/November crop. Our real growth starts in February, with first maturity in early July. Call that five months to produce bulbs. I would think, from that, that 2 1/2-3 months might be needed to reach the point where the bulbing process has started, but not progressed very far.

BTW, I don't believe grocery-store garlic needs to be cold treated. That stuff sprouts no matter what.

• garliclady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Garden Lad
    I had thought I would sucession plant any way because I want some for early Oct - Late December or later. I agree that I probably won't have to cold treat grocery store garlic .
    Our farmers market runs all year so i may work a way to have garlic 12 months .If it works I may can have green garlic from october- april, scapes in may and garlic june thru late fall then green garlic again. I have covered beds for winter crops and green garic could grow there in the winter months. I'll keep you posted on the experiment.

• bassketcher
    18 years ago

I planted in April last year and harvested in july. that is less than 4 monthes. I guess mine were smaller than If I had planted in fall. I planted april 15th this year and the plants are allready 6 inches tall.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

In order to have garlic scallions, I think that you'd be planting cloves weekly. There's no way that you could make one big planting one month and expect to harvest scallions all the following month. One thing about spring planting is that growth is very rapid. To win that argument two years ago, I had green shoots in a week and they caught up to their fall-planted kin within another week or so. They don't mess around growing slow in warm weather!

I've already covered bulbils which will give you a mixed growth rate and would permit a longer harvest period. Only problem is that bulbils are so varied in size and growth habit and hasn't been researched much for scallion purposes.

That leaves a third option that may be the answer. That would be to plant an entire bulb. For the past several years, I somehow have managed to not get all of the old topsetter garlic out of the walking onion area. Having to almost battle for an inch of ground, they are thin scallions right now and no bigger around than a pencil. Same variety in the regular bed has stems over an inch thick. At the same time, there somehow was a garlic bulbil which ended up in a tomato area a year ago. I didn't bother with it since I thought that it was just another leek. When it began growing this spring, it was obvious that it was not a leek or onion but a clump of garlic! There are about a dozen plants right now and they seem to have been stuck for a month at about a foot tall. From a single beginning, they are now all individual plants competing for the same little bit of ground. I would almost be willing to bet that that cluster could be harvested as garlic scallions a month from now and they will still be OK. You may experiment planting softneck and hardneck bulbs at the same time after midsummer. From experience thus far, I know that at least one hardneck will perform that way. Softneck varieties would give you a lot more but I'm uncertain of the size or quality.

Oh, more than pleased to see that we've now almost all agreed on what constitutes a garlic scallion!

Martin

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County