Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
places to squeeze in more onions?

Posted by irene_dsc 5 N IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 13:59

So, I was buying my tomato plants over the weekend, and a guy was asking if anyone had seen onion sets. It turns out, they were in bags by the checkout. At $1.05 for a good-sized bag of yellow onion sets (no other info), I figured I might as well give it a try. They advised me on spacing and planting depth, but not much else.

Anyhow, I put in 3 rows in between my lettuce rows, and still have a lot left. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to squeeze some more in other spots. I have brand new asparagus and strawberry beds, for instance. Would there be any problems with putting onions around the edges of those?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: places to squeeze in more onions?

I plant onions all around my tomatoes and lettuce. I have never planted onions with my strawberries, but it should be just fine. I believe there might even be some benefit.. companion planting of onions near strawberries.. probably pest deterrent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here