Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does ornamental allium smell like garlic?

Posted by claysoil z6 PA (vpete@dejazzd.com) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 14:55

Hi, I posted this question at the bulb forum and someone suggested that I post it here....which makes sense! I did a quick search of the archives right after the trade arrived and found one post...but when I went back to look for it again I couldn't find it! I hope someone can help me with my question. Are there ornamental alliums that smell like garlic???

I have some ornamental allium and never detected an odor to it. I did a trade for some more "allium" and when it arrived the sealed envelope sat in my kitchen for a couple of hours. When I got home, my house reeked of garlic. Several of the bulbs had been damaged in transit and the package took a week to arrive, could that account for the smell? I contacted the person who sent them saying that I had expected ornamental allium, not garlic. She is insisting that what she sent is not garlic. I know that common names differ from place to place, but when I did a search of the internet the information I found verified what I thought....that ornamental allium may have a mild onion smell.

Does anyone have experience with an ornamental allium that has a strong garlic odor? Or is there an ornamental garlic that looks like allium?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does ornamental allium smell like garlic?

I have one in my yard that smells VERY garlicky. It's called Society Garlic. It gets a purple flower on it. Every time I'm even working near it I can smell it.

o
RE: Does ornamental allium smell like garlic?

The stems and leaves reek of garlic! Yes, they do! But the flowers themselves do not smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here