Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walking Onions

Posted by cassie6383 MA (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 07 at 15:12

Hi guys!
I have some walking onions that I have been growing for over 3 years now. The plants are huge, and very sturdy, very green, "walks" around everywhere, but I cant get the darn things to produce any good bulbs on the walking part. What am I doing wrong? - Cassie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walking Onions

Do you mean the bubils that form on top? Some can be quite small depending on the variety. What variety do you have?
The bulbs underground also stay small. The onion is mainly used as scallions. If you grow them out to harvest the bubils, the underground bulbs willgrow to be about an inch in diameter. These are good for stews, soups roasts, etc.

o
RE: Walking Onions

By now they should have grown the cute little bulbs on top, ours do every yr. I toss away hundred of the bulbs growing on top. If you want some, contact me....I will send a padded envelop of just the top bulbs. Or else they go in the garbage, we just find them too hot to eat.
Darlene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here