Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhsuzanne_gw

Newbie at garlic question

nhsuzanne
15 years ago

I have been reading the garlic growing posts here and there is such a lot of good information. The one thing I haven't quite figured out yet is - if I plant my garlic in the fall (October for my zone 5) - when do I buy my seeds?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• bloosquall
    15 years ago

Suzanne, You can buy your bulbs any time this summer after say July 15, The big seed stores start shipping in September. if there is a certain variety you want you better place an order for it right now if going through one of the big boys. I would start looking of for it in Sept if you can find it at your local farmers market.

Travis

• nhsuzanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bloosquall, I just visited your nice site. I am learning much about growing garlic. I like the idea of being able to get a sample package from you because as a newbie I want to try all kinds.

Another question - if I plant garlic in October when will I harvest it? I am trying to figure out if I can use the bed for summer crops after I harvest the garlic or if I need a bed/space dedicated to garlic only.

• bloosquall
    15 years ago

Suzanne,

Planted in EARLY October in zone 5, harvest should be near July 1 to 10. Yes, I can do a sample pack that will grow well for you up north. I grow garlic mostly for seed stock but there are always a few that don't measure up and get sold for eating.

I believe a garlic bed should be rotated at least every other year if not every third year. I use a green manure crop (clover, peas and rye) in the off year. I'm guessing you have limited space at your location so yes I believe you could work the soil up after harvest and plant something else.

The ideal plan would be to have at least three beds and rotate them for your garlic...this year garlic, next year ??? then garlic again. I'll try to answer any questions you have with your new venture.

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

October is the ideal planting time for garlic, but I think any time between late September and Thanksgiving would be fine as long as the soil can be worked. I've planted garlic even into December, and it's worked out fine.

Last year was my first garlic harvest, and they died down and were ready to dig around July 4. I assume it'll be about the same time this year.

I've begun to look at holidays in terms of what I need to sow or harvest.

St. Patrick's Day -- start seeds indoors
    Easter -- plant cool weather crops
    Beltaine -- plant potatoes
    Memorial Day weekend -- set tomatoes out and direct sow melons and squash
    July 4th -- harvest garlic
    Labor Day -- start harvesting peaches
    Halloween to Thanksgiving -- plant fall garlic

All dependent on weather and other conditions, of course. I heard somewhere on here someone use the old maxim, "plant potatoes when the dandelions bloom." When I was planting my potatoes this year, I noticed that the dandelions WERE blooming, so now I know that that's a good rule to go by.

• TJG911
    15 years ago

you can plant something else after harvesting your garlic. however, it will be mid july and the soil and air will be HOT. even lettuce, chard can be done but water them a few times per day. broccoli? cukes? try zucchini, i never plant it before 7/4 and this avoids the squash vine borer, same would apply to yellow squash. just avoid butternut squash/tomato, veggies that have full season maturity requirements. the trick is grow something that matures fast like 40-50 days as you are about 1/2 way thru the season.

i'd advise looking for garlic locally. farmers markets and health food stores. sometimes you'll see a sign for someone that just grows garlic, there's a guy here. you will save a TON of money tho varieties may be restricted. if you must have all different types then you'll have to buy from a farm. frankly, i have grown many different varieties and basicly they are the same, some larger bulbs some hotter but it is not like say tomatoes. i may go to 12 or 3 varieties and skip all the rest. garlic farms charge an arm and a leg but locally you can get it for 1/3 to 1/2 the price. works for me and once you grow a crop save the largest cloves to plant in october or november and you'll never have to buy it again in seed form. your garlic will truly acclimate to your climate and garden becoming your own variety as far as adapting.

tom

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz