Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepbob1

Garlic on target?

pepbob1
16 years ago

My fall planted garlic is about 10-12 inches tall, i planted in October, mulched with pine needles when the ground froze,took the mulch off about April 15, then we got a couple of heavy snow storms. There appeared to be slight cold/snow damage to some of the foilage, but nothing serious i don't think. I have fertiized twice this spring once with Fish Emulsion and once with one of the Espoma Brand fertilizers i think it might be 5-4-3 or something close to those numbers. Ive read not to fertilize after May 1st and not give any supplemental water after June 1st. Yes? No? The variety i planted is "Spanish Roja" I live in Southern New Hampshire Zone 5. Let me know if you think my garlic seems on target as far as the current top growth etc etc etc . Also what do you say about water, Fertilizer etc etc etc from now until harvest? This is the first time ive tried growing garlic, and want to pick everyones brains to see what i can do differently, if need be, when i plant next fall. Thanks in advance...bob

Comments (18)

• bravedeer
    16 years ago

You've done a good job and my garlic is exactly like yours. The leaves were a little burnt after late snow storms but most of it went away.

Do not fertilize anymore. But I do believe we're a couple weeks late this year, last year I had scapes by this time, not this year. I have only watered my garlic once this season and will only do so again if we go over a week without rain. As far as June 1st, I'd go by what's happening with the plants, if it's done with the scapes and it looks like the bulbs might be done growing, cease all watering.

• pepbob1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the response, and the tip about watering/June 1st. I wasnt aware that the scapes would be generally up out of the plant by now, its been so cool, i was thinking they would wait until it got much warmer. Yes, i think lots of things are late this year altho the lilacs seem earlier this year. Go figure?

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Some of my garlic is up to my thigh, but I've seen no scapes. I fertilized about three weeks ago with Miracle-Gro and I water only when there's been several days without rain. We've had a lot of rain this spring, though. Other than that and weeding them, I've pretty much ignored mine, and they seem fine.

So don't fertilize again? I planted most of mine last fall, October and November, except for a couple rows that didn't get planted until March. When should they be ready? July?

• bravedeer
    16 years ago

I wouldn't fertilize it again. As far as when it's ready to harvest, I wait until the plant is close to 2/3 brown. Last year that happened before July but I think this year it'll probably happen in July.

My plants are exactly like yours, very tall this year!

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

Scapes would be up by now in zone 5? I'm in 6b and I am still waiting for any signs of scapes, especially with my Spanish Roja.

We've been getting a lot of rain this week as well.

• gladgrowing
    16 years ago

I am in zone 6a, and have been picking scapes off of the Elephant Garlic (leek) for a week now. None of the others have scapes yet, out of many, many varieties. A few multiplying onions have had scapes show up this week...itsa coming! Sure wish more people around here liked to eat scapes!
    Glad

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

A couple scapes started coming up this week! I wonder if it's the 85F weather that we've been having?

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

We're usually quite dry, but we've had a lot of precipitation this year. Tons of snow last winter, and a very rainy spring. All the plants love it (especially the weeds, sigh).

• pepbob1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the further responses to my posting i havent checked the site in a while, my mom passed away 10 days ago so have been busy with that. i have no sign of scapes on my plants at all, i accidently pulled a plant up about 2 weeks ago, and there had been no bulbing action at all...

• pepbob1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When i was checking my garlic yesterday evening, i noticed what i think are scapes emerging from the tops of my plants. Iam going to change the location of my garlic plantings next fall, iam not sure if these that i have now are getting enough sun, i know they get about 6 hours worth now, but i can plant in another location next fall where they will get at least 10 hours of sun.

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

I took a photo of one of my scapes earlier tonight. Whee!

{{gwi:363035}}

• pepbob1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, your plants look great! I think i may have been too cautious on watering or fertilizing my garlic, its fairly tall' looks ok, but doesnt have that "oooomph" that i'd like them to have,,,oh well we shall see! Thanks for posting the pic! Bob

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

My garlic grew tall, and it's in a location that gets sun in the morning, and patches of sun during the afternoon, depending on how the sun hits the trees.

No scapes, but I don't think I planted the type of garlic that develops scapes. This is my first time as a garlic gardener, so I'm not sure.

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

Oh, I can't believe I missed this...

Bob, I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

• pepbob1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks "penguingardener" i appreciate your thoughtfullness, my garlic is starting to send up scapes, not all yet, but it is beginning. when should i cut them off? Now? After they have curled? When?

• pepbob1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks "penguingardener" i appreciate your thoughtfullness, my garlic is starting to send up scapes, not all yet, but it is beginning. when should i cut them off? Now? After they have curled? When?

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

Looks like someone found an older thread that might be useful...

I cut the ones as they're starting to curl when I want to add it to my cooking. As long as some bulbs are big, I don't mind if some turn out slightly smaller. I'm definitely eating the smaller ones! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: When do you cut scapes

• pepbob1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, that is a great resource for reference!