Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegasgardener

Some Elephant Garlic questions

VegasGardener
9 years ago

I got a bunch of elephant garlic cloves last year and planted them in the soil to overwinter them(doesn't get that cold here in Tucson, but cold enough I guess). They did grow well, but now it is May and I have a few questions...

some background info
1.They are in my community garden, and I will be moving out of state in July to a similar environment place, a little hotter, zone 8.
2. They are all flowering.
3. I pulled a test bulb from the ground today out of curiosity. It was the size of my hand or bigger, I can't tell if it has split into cloves or not, and has some baby cloves hanging off of it(see picture)

questions
1. If I want to save the baby cloves to plant, do i just let them dry up and hold onto them to plant in the fall?

2. I can't tell if the bulb has differentiated into cloves or not, but I read that "they are a single bulb in the years that the plants don't go to flower or seed." And these went to flower, so does that mean it either is separated into cloves after one winter of growth from a clove, or the other remaining ones will split if I leave the other ones in there longer? I know I pulled this one out early, but curiosity got to me, and I figure it's one out of a lot of plants I have growing.

3. if it is not split into cloves, do I have to basically eat/use it all in one sitting?

thanks Elephant garlic experts :)

This post was edited by VegasGardener on Fri, May 2, 14 at 21:01

Comments (7)

• VegasGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

edit : added photo to first post

This post was edited by VegasGardener on Fri, May 2, 14 at 23:31

• VegasGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anyone? cmon Elephant Garlic gurus, I know we have some people who farm the stuff :)

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

So if you have the offsets that may not sprout the first year, do you also occasionally have elephant garlic cloves that also do that? I am starting to suspect that I have some like that! Regular garlic is knee high already but the elephants haven't shown the tip of a sprout.

• VegasGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dmbear, thanks for that writeup! let's say...hypothetically I pulled a lot of thiem out today...haha...I took one more out and it looked bigger, and I guess i didn't notice, since I plant them somewhat close together, that a bunch of leaves beneath have died out. so, going on the size of the bulb, I pulled many more out. Once these cure for a few weeks, will the cloves be good to go to keep for planting later still? will i even have cloves to separate?

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

I think it is better not pulling them out too soon. Once about half the leaves have yellowed and begun to fade, then is a good time. New cloves won't be forming during the time it is close to harvest - that happens earlier. The quality of your cloves is determined on how soon you got them started (around the end of September good here in VA), how big the cloves or rounds were when you planted them, how fertile the soil is (don't do as well in compacted soil, and can't be too acidic, prefer to be limed a bit, and can't be devoid of nutrients), and plenty of sun. As I said, I dig up all of my garlic, and always make sure I have enough good size cloves or rounds for planting in the fall. Additionally, I start growing the buttons right away in order to produce good size garlics in several years. A regular clove that is planted and doesn't sprout is probably no good. The sheath on it is not tough enough to hold off a year (the buttons have very tough coats). Let the heads cure out of the sun in an airy place, not too hot, and they'll keep well - as I said - sometimes I have cloves that last over a year. I'm still eating my elephant garlic I harvested last year in May.

• VegasGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok thanks. well due to the weather here in Tucson, they grew really fast. Should help that I use rock dust and organic compost ammended soil. On average, my resulting bulbs appear for the most part bigger than my fist. Huge! Most are significantly larger than the cloves I bought to make these :) They are curing now. I ate one of them because it was nicked by my shovel. For the rest, I look forward to eating and cooking with them, and using the cloves from those bigger than fist sized bulbs next fall!