Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My garlic patch

Posted by lilacs_of_may 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 18:40

Here's a pic of my garlic patch. The tallest garlic is up past my knees. I planted it last fall, and it started sprouting in March.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yeah, I really like garlic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My garlic patch

That's a nice looking garlic patch all right!! Do you ever exchange any garlic for other things? Let me know - I would love to have some garlic plants.

Thanks for the picture

o

nice garlic patch lilac!

o

Here it is a month later.

Here are the Bogatyr scapes.

Okay, as I said I'm new at this. Is it time to harvest these babies? Or are they just suffering from the heat and maybe not enough water? I water every other or every third day, but it's been hot, almost 100 today.

o

YES!! snip the scape off after it's made one or two loops.

o

My first harvest.

The two white ones aren't mine. They're just there for comparison.

o

Mine did EXACTLY the same thing, at the same time with identical results. That was my first harvest too. I'm moving the bed. It ended up getting afternoon shade from a tree on the south. Oops?
The elephant garlic is still going strong.

o

That might be part of the problem. The garlic got plenty of morning sun and then dappled afternoon sun.

o

I would have to say, that you are an excellent garlic grower!
When was the photo taken when the plants looked brown and dieing back?? This shows me that it is ready to pull. By the way did you cut the scapes after they curled? Doing so, sends energy back to the bulb and definetly makes a difference in the size of the bulb. For your first try, excellent!

o

Thank you! Yay! I'm actually a gardening success at something! I did cut the scapes, but probably not soon enough. They'd begun to uncurl, although they hadn't straightened out again.

The second picture was taken about a week before I harvested them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here