Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic is sending up scapes!

Posted by glane1219 northern OK. (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 05 at 19:41

Hi, Went looking at the garlic and onions today. Both the Elephant and Maitake Garlic is just starting to send up scapes here, and digging down to check on the progress of the bulbs show the maitake to already be sizeing up nicely.
Now comes the waiting to harvest.
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic is sending up scapes!

Removing the scapes is important at this time.

o

Yes, I admit that I am new to garlic....What are scrapes,Is it possibly a roundish thick "stem" coming up from the bulb. Boy do I feel foolish......Heidi

o

Yes it is . It is best to wait for it to start curling before breaking it off . I break mine when they look like shepherd hooks and not completely curled.

o

Do you cut the scapes at the top by the flower or at the bottom?

o

Cut the scapes where it meets the top leaves. Douing so, will send energy back to growing the bulb.
If you don't cut the scape off, the bulb will be about a third of the size it could be.
BTW, you can cook the scape! Depending on the varietie, the flavor could be as strong as a clove it's self.

o

Had no idea what you guys were talking about . Scapes !!! I thought the stem of the garlic that curled and grew the beautiful round ball (flower) was there for a reason . Have grown garlic for 50 years , and never cut that off! I am shocked ,, what else will I learn on this site. I'll tell you guys one thing , that shepards hook stalk with the brown blossom on the end , is magnificent in a dried arrangement ! When you have company , everyone knows you love garlic! Oh bye the way , I freeze the excess garlic from one season to the next , just cut it off the stalk and put in Tupperware with the lid on and stick it in the freezer. Simple and so easy to grab what you need , wash and cut it up as you need it . Love this site , can't get away from it . Carry on Garlic Lovers ! Leta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here