Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No weeds?!?

Posted by thorspippi z9/s14 CA (Sac) (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 05 at 21:11

I have my elephant garlic planted in a raised bed. I only planted maybe 10. So most of those beds are empty. Except for the weeds. Scarlet pimpernel, some kind of cut leaf geranium, something else I can't identify and a bit of wild ginger.

HOWEVER.... there's not a single weed near the elephants...

How did that happen?? Is it allelopathic (sp)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No weeds?!?

Hey, it must be! I learned years ago to keep Preen away from my Alliums because Preen makes the leaves shrivel up and go away and it doesn't bloom. So I don't use Preen anymore but there are no weeds anymore either. Must be something to your theory.

o

After 10 years of growing elephant I still have plenty of weeds growing in my elephant garlic and other type beds.

o

I've got only a few weeds in mine, but most are not growing due to the leaving of dead oak leaves as a mulch in the area. Preen, although it has fertilizers too, may be a bit too much for the garlic. I used corn gluten in my whole asparagus patch and adjoining garlic and onion patches. The garlic area, for several years prior to last was only used for growing the walking onions I plant every fall. These are huge right now as I use a different fertilizer as well as the corn gluten from last fall and early this spring. The corn gluten is supposed to break down and leave nitrogen. Its not prevented dill seeds from sprouting in the same area however, but most other weeds are a lot less noticable and easy to remove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here