Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailidespain

Anyone harvesting their garlic yet in zone 6?

AiliDeSpain
9 years ago

I think mine is getting close. What do you think?

Comments (21)

• Garylane
    9 years ago

Thats about how most of mine looks. Im still 2 weeks away from harvest on most of mine and little longer on some. Yours still has a lot of green leaves so i would wait at least another week or two and let about a third of the leaves die before harvesting them. Maybe get a little more size on the bulbs.
    What kind of garlic is in the picture?
    Gary

• hortster
    9 years ago

I'm not far from Gary on when to harvest, but I dig 'em when the bottom three leaves on most plants are almost completely brown or when the fourth leaf from the bottom starts to brown, even if the third leaf from the bottom isn't completely brown. Seems to keep enough "wrapper" on the bulb. Has worked for me.

Anyone else with harvesting advice I'd love to hear it, too.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is Siberian in the photo.
    I harvested one plant to check bulb size and I think I'm going to wait another week at least. The wrappers were adequate but the bulb size was not optimum.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Aili, I think your garlic is still growing. Mine is about the same.

Once the lower leaves start dying/yellowing, one after another, then you have to be on alert. Need maybe 4 or 5 green leaves at the time of harvest. If it gets down to 3 then it is LATE and the cloves will burst the bulb open . The drawback it that they won't be good keepers.

Anyway. My first year here in PNW growing garlic. I planted mine late last September ( a bit early). I anticipate to pull them in about 2 -3 weeks.
    I don't know what kind I am growing. I think the are mostly Asiatic that I bought from stores.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I wait for my garlic to be about half brown before I pull them. I've never actually counted the amount of leaves. I feel like I get the maximum size and after they are cured they store well.

I've still got at the very least a month to go yet before I'm harvesting. And more realistically it will be around 6 weeks. Mid-July is my usual harvest time. I'm still waiting on scapes to show.

Rodney

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I cut scapes about two weeks ago, thanks for the reminder on green leaves seysonn, I remember that now from last year. Time to start counting leaves :)

• zqnmegan
    9 years ago

Next year you might want to leave one or two scapes on your garlic. Another indication of when to harvest is when the scapes unfurl. I use a combination of factors to judge when to harvest - counting green leaves as per Seysonn, scooping away the soil around the bulb to check bulb size and to see how well defined the cloves are. The bulbils are a great way to increase your growing stock as an added bonus.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Aha! Scapes are just barely starting to peek out for me now.

Rodney

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

First scapes are just starting to show for me here in zone 4, too, but only on one variety yet. Looks like I have probably three weeks to go yet, at least.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have officially harvested all of my garlic. Music performed best giving me these nice sized bulbs :)

• planatus
    9 years ago

Those look great! My hardnecks are just starting to scape, which means the softies are ready to start checking. I have a harder time deciding when to harvest the softnecks.

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

ADS... very nice garlic... I don't think I am too far behind you!

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

The scapes are poppin in just the past few days, starting to show on Music, Japanese, Siberian, Viet Namese Red, with Music looking to be the fartherest along, and starting to curl. Looks like I prune the scapes over the next week or so and maybe start harvest as early as the 4th of July on some of these. That seems awful early to me for zone 4.

The tulips should be pretty close to completely cured by then; so the screens should be available, and we shall see, I guess.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hers a photo of my 2014 garlic harvest :)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Aili, congrats on a good harvest.
    I like your bunching. I usually spread them and let the stems get mostly dry before braiding or bunching.
    Mine are not ready yet. I'll be out of town for a week. They should be getting ready when I return.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

Time to get the screens ready in the front porch. My front screen porch faces west and does a very good job of curing garlics, onions, tulips, etc., on old window screens. This year's tulips are just about ready to bag up.

(Nice 300-400% increase in blooming size bulbs in the Triumphs - Interesting how they cluster around the blooming stem like a hardneck garlic's cloves do, but with a 'soft neck'. I probably dug them a little early - just after blossom drop, but I wanted them cured up and out of the way by the time garlics come in, and it looks like that will happen.)

For the time being I am snacking on scapes as I do the rest of my weeding. I didn't get the garlic mulched this year, but it wasn't actually needed either.

The local Cub supermarkets have laid in their yearly supply of "Mexican purple". They do this every year from the new crop of south of the border, replacing their normal Cali-whites for a while. Those in the know stock up on this more flavorful offering. Being a Creole it keeps pretty well, too. I picked up a handful of bulbs against next fall's planting. (I realize that I am a little far north for the Creoles.) Not meaning to advertise here, but around this area anything offered that is not some kind of Cali-white is quite rare. Most folks don't realize there is anything else, and there generally isn't from regular grocers.

• planatus
    9 years ago

My first variety to come in is this Blossom Asiatic, which used to be sold by Southern Exposure. My bulbs are always small, perhaps because of their short season, but they cure out to beautiful white bulbs that store very well. These have been out of the ground two days.

The bigger silverskins will be ready in a week or so, with the hardnecks ready at the end of the month.

• kristincarol
    9 years ago

AiliDeSpain, thanks so very much for the photo of your garlic. I grow a lot of hardnecks and had not thought of that way to do it. Much, much neater look than what I have done.

Also, platanus, why you no clean your garlic? Looks so much better clean.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still Kris, I think planatus is still curing his garlic that's why is not clean.
    I let mine mostly cure than lightly clean and bunch them like pictured to finish curing.

• planatus
    9 years ago

Good question. The wrappers left on the fresh bulbs help the bulbs to cure slowly and lose less moisture. In storage, lots of wrappers help to protect against premature sprouting while serving as a physical barrier against pathogens.

So, my garlic gets cleaned only a little as it comes out of the ground, and then a little more when trimmed the first time, 7-10 days into curing. But the final cleanup comes 2-3 weeks later, when the bulbs are fully cured. By then they have shrunk just a bit, and the dirty outer wrappers fall away easily with no rubbing needed.

• kristincarol
    9 years ago

Cutting the leaves off at the neck is the same thing as removing wrappers, imho. It amounts to less material to dry therefore not actually drying slower. I strip off 2 to 4 leaves/layers, but leave the rest untrimmed. I do squirt off the planter mix with the hose and trim the roots back to about 2".

I find it impossible to remove layers of wrapper without damaging the underlying ones once they are dried out. They probably dry out faster clean as the dirt would hold moisture not to mention disease organisms. By the time I put them under cover in the afternoon the first layer is quite dry.

It took the soft necks I harvested first 4 weeks to be ready for braiding. We have had warmer than usual breezy weather recently so I expect the hardnecks might take a bit less time to cure.

I do not have any problem keeping the garlic. Still have some German Extra Hardy that are edible.