Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic harvest!

Posted by glane1219 northern OK. (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 22:09

Hi, I harvested my Maitake Garlic today and have 77 nice bulbs around 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" inches. How is everyones Garlic doing and what kinds are you growing and harvesting this year?
If anyone would be interested in trading varieties of garlic let me know as I am growing 33 varieties this year and am always looking for varieties I have not tried yet.
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic harvest!

Gary i am SOOOO jealous!!! Right now i have one type planted and its just the grocery store kind :) i hope to grow many varieties some day, starting with a couple good varieties next year. i also hope to trade with you in the future!!!!

till then,

Sarah

o

I think my elephant garlic is getting ready to be harvested. I asked a couple weeks ago about a broken stalk, but now others are yellowing, breaking and falling over, so I'm thinking maybe that first one was just the earliest.

I've read some conflicting data about when to harvest it... But I figure as long as I'm not watering them anymore, they won't rot if I leave them a a week or two too long, right?

I'm dying here, cuz I'm so close to finally getting my first harvest of *anything*. *crossing fingers tightly*.

o

Thorspippi, the way to scratch that itch is to carefully excavate around one of them and look at the bulb. If it's filled out, actually lift that one. Based on what you see, it'll tell you whether the others are ready or need a bit more time.

o

well now, that just makes too much sense! LOL!

o

Wow! I planted Italian purple hardneck something (my first try) in early October and the greens are big and beautiful now. Waiting for them to die back so I can harvest!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here