Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattemate_gw

Can I replant heads of garlic that haven't split?

mattemate
13 years ago

I dug up all of my garlic today. Most of it is split into separate cloves, but some is not, maybe 25%. If I immediately replant the heads that have not yet divided, will they still divide? Will the undivided heads store as well? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• promethean_spark
    13 years ago

A small clove will often only produce a small onion-like bulb. Since you've already dug them, their roots are damaged and they are unlikely to grow any more. Rounds produced this way are often larger than a single clove and make very good seedstock for next year. They should store as well as other garlic.

If you harvested them too early, storage life might be impaired. The wrappers will still be quite succulent and require longer curing, and the danger of rot during curing will be higher because it takes longer to dry.

• mattemate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Promethean-- that's good to know.

It's getting pretty hot and dry here-- can I just cure these guys outside under the sun, or is the shade better? And should I cut the stems off-- I've heard different things for onions, and I didn't know if that applies to garlic as well. Thanks.

• pippimac
    13 years ago

Definately cure them it the shade. Garlic goes sort of waxy and 'see-through' in the sun. As to cutting off the tops, I trim hardneck varieties to about 4 inches and since I plait the softneck, all the leaves stay on

• neohippie
    13 years ago

I live in San Marcos, and I'm just now harvesting my garlic too.

I'm no expert, but I'm saving the biggest and prettiest blubs to replant and eating the rest. I think that's the safest way, since those are the ones that were the most healthy plants. The ones that haven't divided into cloves yet will be eaten first, since they supposedly don't keep as well. Those are ones that didn't fully mature, so I doubt they'd be good planting stock.

I've got them hanging in the garage to cure right now. I think you're supposed to leave the leaves on until they're done curing and then cut them off. At least, that's what I'm doing, since I've got them tied up by their leaves.

Also, I grew several different types of garlic, and they are maturing at different times. The softnecks were ready first, and then the elephant, and my hardnecks are still in the ground, though one variety could probably be dug up any day now. Don't know if that's normal, but I'm glad I didn't dig up ALL my garlic at once.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Neohippie- I've heard it's good to plant those that didn't divide. They make really big bulbs the next year.
    What varieties do you have? Since you're in the south I'm interested in what is doing well for you. I only grew the stuff from the store last year (soft neck and elephant) but planning for 10x the amount and nicer varieties for next year. Can't believe how much better than store bought it is!

• promethean_spark
    13 years ago

Different varieties do have different flavors/smells. :)

You don't want to plant bulbs that are small due to disease, and genetic drift will cause the plants to adapt to your climate somewhat if you select the biggest and best each year. Planting runts will breed for runtiness. OTOH, if you planted a small inner clove and it produced a 'round' that is larger than a regular clove, that 'round' will likely produce an above average sized head. These 'rounds' also tend to be left-over when planting season comes around, so go ahead and use them as long as they look healthy.

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

I have already harvested all of mine too.
    I also like to grow single clove=onion garligs. by chance, I had two of them this year.
    I will plant small divided clove and top cloves to get round single clove garlics.

• joanne_ca
    12 years ago

I have several bulbs that did not split, I pulled them but now they're shriveling up and I don't think they will be any good in October, do I plant them back now or are they no good?

• Mark
    12 years ago

If they are shriveling, eat them soon. Don't plant them.

• tted
    12 years ago

If you were writing about 1st or 2nd even 3rd year garlic from bubils..single "rounds" are pretty much normal/what you get in the 3-6 year process of sizing up (fewer and fewer each year depending on the variety.)

It would be nice if the gum ball or jawbreaker singles from mature cloves/bulbs would produce super-sized 3" bulbs in 2012...but. Try a couple at the end of the row..heck they just might explode.

Each year's weather (here west of Seattle and back in southern Illinois) has a lot to do with how individual varieties perform. Stay curious with your garlic growing and variety "experiments."

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler