Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So I want to grow clearance shelf onion starts for spring onions

Posted by plantslayer 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 1:40

Hello everyone,

After growing scallions to somewhat mixed effects, I think I want to try growing more robust bulbing onions, and simply harvesting them early as green onions. A neighbor in my community garden told me that at some point in the past few months she bought some Walla-Walla onion starts really cheap (like $1 for 50-100 individual onions) off of a clearance shelf at a local nursery. I was wondering two things:

1) When are these likely to be on clearance

2) If I just want some nice spring onions (don't care about them bulbing), will transplanting them in late summer or early fall into my plot produce decent spring onions by winter time, or perhaps in the spring after the plants overwinter? I don't think we get hard freezes until November here in Seattle, usually not even that early IIRC.

Thanks for yuor help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So I want to grow clearance shelf onion starts for spring oni

Because I am NO expert on onion growing, you will need to search this site further on subjects like sets versus seed, or scallions, or bunching green.

I did read on this site that in general the sets are better for spring green onions, and the ones that don't get eaten can be dried and used thru winter as cooking onions. And that starting from seed gives a larger and better storage onion (did for me). Lots of excellent reading and info here, have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here