Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest garlic in Indiana?

Posted by obrionusa 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 7:05

I Planted garlic last october in Indianapolis. The bottom leaves are turning brown, Some varieties are all brown. Do you harvest like onions and wait until they fall over? I would love to hear from someone close to my area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest garlic in Indiana?

It really doesn't matter where you are, garlic is harvested when most of the leaves have gone yellow/brown but about 3-4 leaves are still mostly green. Each leaf is an extension of a wrapper layer around the bulb, so when all the leaves are dead, the wrappers wither away leaving the cloves exposed. This shortens storage life. If you plan on storing the garlic for a few months, better to leave some wrapper layers around the bulb, which means leave some green leaves.

TomNJ

o

I harvest when there are 3 green leaves left. I am in zone 7 and my early garlics are already harvested but the main crop is still a couple of weeks away. You probably want to dig up a couple of the ones with all brown leaves. This way you can see how big the bulbs are. I suspect those are definitely ready to be dug up.

o

Another way to tell is to count 20 days from when you cut the bulk of your scapes. By then the bottom leaves should be yellow and the top ones still green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here