Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obrionusa

Anyone harvesting garlic yet?

obrionusa
11 years ago

Please respong with state you live and zone. I live North of Indianapolis and Mine is real close.

Comments (23)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Yes, 7b SC

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Mine was pulled two weeks ago.

• jolj
    11 years ago

Yes, it was my first year & I did not do very well, but I had fun & learned a lot.

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

Coastal northern California here. Harvested the Early Italian Purple and German Red the last week of May. Korean Red is very close--a week or so yet to go--and Music and German Extra Hardy a couple of weeks after that.

Late rains the past three years has not been so good for the early varieties, but good for the hardnecks which are later.

• wolverine1012
    11 years ago

All in...and drying. This was a good year for yield. Now on to the taste test.

• wcthomas
    11 years ago

Getting close here in central NJ (zone 7a). I'll probably start digging the purple stripes in a week or so, and the rocamboles and porcelains maybe two weeks or so.

TomNJ

• gemini_jim
    11 years ago

Softnecks were done and dug by the end of May. Just dug up hardnecks (purple stripe and porcelain) on the 24th. They were still pretty green, but in this drought they weren't growing much, and I had a window of opportunity.

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

Harvested the last of the later garlic yesterday. Except for one of my regular varieties, all had a banner year. Korean Red was the biggest surprise yielding many nearly fist-sized heads.

Got one word of advice: blood meal. (okay, two words.)

• elffriend
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 5, southern Ontario. Just finished eating up the scapes this week. Still have a couple of weeks before harvest I think.

• largemouth
    11 years ago

Knee deep in scapes here on the cusp of zones 6 and 5, in the Hudson Valley in NY. Have a crowd who want the scapes, and have used them in unlimited uses in cooking. 450 are now cut and accounted for. Probably missed a few and they will become flowers. Can deal with that.

Kept around 100 for myself. Will stay weeks in the fridge. Instant flavor for any application.

2 weeks away from the real thing. Maybe 3. Mid July for my garlic and taters. My heirloom tomatoes come 2-3 weeks later.

Could life be any better????

Can't wait!!!!

• gardenunusual
    11 years ago

NH zone 5 here.

Harvesting some Inchelium Red. A couple Shantung Purple, and one Susanville (only because the cloves were showing).

Most of my Corsican Red has toppled over and I am debating whether I should harvest them or not. One maybe two bottom leaves are browned on them.

My second year growing, first time with softnecks.

• planatus
    11 years ago

Southwest Virginia highlands. Pulled all garlic 10 days ago, set the plants in the wood shed to dry, and started trimming it last night. This is two weeks earlier than normal, but the crop is looking good. It will stay outside in dry shade for another week.

• gardenunusual
    11 years ago

Just pulled most of the Corsican Red. The cloves were exposed on most of them. I hope I didn't wait too long.

Obrionusa, Wolverine1012, Largemouth, and any other zone 5-6ers, what varieties did you plant, if I may ask?

I am so confused this year. Looks like most have the bottom two gone, then the tips on the others drying out.

• wolverine1012
    11 years ago

Gardenunusual,

I have a little of each of these: Inchelium Red, Transylvania, Carpathian, and Bogatyr.

I have LOTS from some garlic I bought from the grocery store. It's softneck, but I have no idea of the variety.

• gardenunusual
    11 years ago

many thanks for sharing, Wolverine1012. Those are some neat varieties. Inchelium is one I am growing, it has been my second year. This year seems to be better. What's your opinion on the flavors of garlics from mountainous regions?

• wolverine1012
    11 years ago

This is only my third year, gardenunusual, of growing garlic. And, it is only my first year of growing other than grocery store garlic (hence the limited quantities). I haven't tasted any of the (other than grocery store) varieties yet, so can't answer about flavor. We did try some of the scapes that developed and they had a little heat to them.

• wcthomas
    11 years ago

Barbara (Planatus) - does hardneck garlic bulb up nicely in your area? We are hoping to make an offer on a farm in Floyd, VA this week, and if successful will be planting the garlic there this fall. In fact we are in Floyd now for a second look at the farm today. I especially like Rocamboles, and Porcelains, but have never grown them in clay soil and at that altitude.

TomNJ

• cybrczch
    11 years ago

Zone 5 here - harvested Georgia Crystal tonight. 15 nice sized bulbs from cloves planted in October. Curing in the garage until I store it in the basement refrigerator (finished basement gets too warm for them)

• john_p_wi
    11 years ago

Harvested the hardneck this past weekend in SE WI, zone 4 / 5. Seemed to be a reasonably good year, despite the drought.

• scooter70
    11 years ago

Lorenz Italian has been hanging for just over a month.
    German Porcelain has been hanging for almost 3 weeks.
    Romanian Red pulled 9 days ago.

Was hoping for bigger bulbs, but on average i think they're bigger than last year. I can't complain. The first dip of the year was consumed over the holiday - amazing as we remember.

Well folks... Happy Harvest & Happier consumption... hope the curing passes as quick as it did for us!!!

• skeip
    11 years ago

Zone 5 WI, Madison area. Will be digging later this week. Almost a month early.

Steve

• gardenunusual
    11 years ago

Pulled up Spanish Roja today. Looking good.

• gardenvt
    11 years ago

Pulled a Music today here in Vermont and they are ready to harvest. Also have some German Porcelain and German Extra Hardy that is close to harvest. Planted Nov. 1

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz