Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accidently cut stalks on garlic

Posted by potato_head z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 7:54

My dad noticed the stalks of garlic in my backyard were getting dry so he cut the stalks down to the base of the garlic. I know this isn't the proper way to grow garlic. Any advice on what to do now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accidently cut stalks on garlic

If they were turning dry it probably means the heads were ready for lifting anyway.

I would dig them up and cure them. Obviously you can't hang them with no leaves. What you might do instead is make some drying rackes with scrap wood and hardware cloth. Lay the garlic out on them and keep in a warm, airy place but out of direct sun.

In a few weeks they should be ready to put up.

Of course, there's no reason not to eat them fresh, either.

o

Thanks for the advice, GardenLad!

o

We cut most of our garlic off the stalks soon as we pull them out of the ground. Then put them in curing racks.

o

do you mean the scapes? What kind of garlic are you growing? I cut off the scapes of my hard kneck garlic right away (pasta and garlic scapes it an annual treat at ny house) but The soft I leave alone. If he cut off the leaves get it out of the ground but if he cut off the scapes you can wait for the folage to yellow.

Tracy

o

Eating scapes is bad for you, Tracy, don't you know. You should, instead, package them up and ship them to me for proper disposal! :>)

Seriously, it wasn't her scapes, but the whole plants which were cut down to the ground. Given her location, I would guess that the heads were near enough ready, anyway, to be lifted. At the worst she'll have fairly large rounders.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here