Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momamamo

Garlicelady, can you recommend a book?

momamamo
15 years ago

Hi garliclady! I'll bet you're busy right about now. If you have an opportunity, would you mind recommending the best book on alliums you can think of? Thank you! Maureen

Comments (9)

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't believe I'm asking for your help and I spelled your GW name incorrectly. My apologies. Maureen

• garliclady
    15 years ago

Growing Great Garlic Is the book we read when we first started growing. I helped get us started. There are some things we now do differently now after alot of trial and error because growing garlic in the hummid Mid south has a different set of problems . There is no info about elephant garlic in that book also. If you have specific ? feel free to ask also you can read our "how to grow" section on our website . We just finished harvest last week and I have about 40 more lbs to cut stalks off of and put in drying racks then I am through Then it will be blackberries tomatoes and other crops to tend to.
    The Garlic Lady"

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the recommendation and I will absolutely check out your website! I'm quite intrigued by this family of plants.

My own garlic is just about ready - not 40 pounds, just 40 plants! - but I can't wait.

And speaking of blackberries, I had my first from my garden today. My favorite berry. Wow.

Thanks again! Maureen

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the recommendation and I will absolutely check out your website! I'm quite intrigued by this family of plants.

My own garlic is just about ready - not 40 pounds, just 40 plants! - but I can't wait.

And speaking of blackberries, I had my first from my garden today. My favorite berry. Wow.

Thanks again! Maureen

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again! Maureen

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for the triple messages. I kept getting a message saying that my comments were rejected, but apparently they weren't!!! LOL

• aka_peggy
    15 years ago

I found a used copy of Growing Great Garlic at Amazon. I forget what it cost but S&H was more than the book. As usual! Great book though.

I planted a variety of garlic last year. 150 bulbs in all. Music, chesnok red, carpathian, Russian something and many more. Some excellent ones from trades. Thanks too Martin and Tom and others!!!! Thank you!

My garlic leaves have not turned brown yet and in fact, I just harvested another 8-9 scapes this morning. We just got a soaking rain and I intend to cover it if it rains again. I think I need to keep it dry from here on.

I hope everyone has a superb garlic harvest this year! I hope you all stink the good stink, LOL!!

• aka_peggy
    15 years ago

I just went out and found another 20 scapes this morning alone. They just keep coming! I love it!

• momamamo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Peggy. Don't you love going out each day to check on things? I'm the person who posted the question on the veggies forum about gardener's favorite chores. Checking on things - and harvesting - are major favorites!

I have a small garden and planted 9 types of garlic purchased from a garlic pro at the local farmer's market (Lexington KY). They are all seriously browning and I've been eating the scapes like crazy. My kitchen smells, I smell. Every single time I use garlic (and olive oil) in a saute, I feel literally transported to another place. Magnificent and addictive.

I'll find a copy of that book somewhere. I love a good reference book for those winter months when I can let me mind wander. Have a great day, Peggy! Maureen

Sponsored