Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Please tell me one more time.......

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

My brain is changing as I age, and I don't like it one bit. I can't remember anything, and I have trouble reading and comprehending. But it helps alot to ask direct questions and get direct answers. So I really appreciate all your help.

Okay....I bought these great walking onions from Martin. They're going like gangbusters. Let me tell you what I think I know about them.

The original ones grow and make bulbils on top. Some even make another set of bulbils on top of those.

You can eat the greens when they first start growing in the spring. You can eat the greens on the parts that shoot up to grow the bulbils. Everything else gets pretty strong. Then, you can eat/pickle the bulbils (mostly when they're young, since they are strong too).

Then, in the ground, the original onions might also multiply.

So.....I can pull them up and divide those bulbs, and I can also plant the bulbils. They need to dry a few days first though.

I left everything in the ground last winter, and they grew back great. Did they grow from the original bulb, or from newer bulbs?

Do most people grow these for eating early greens? Does it hurt to leave everything in the ground, instead of pulling some out? I'm sure it gets over-crowded soon, in which case, I could pull some out in the spring for the early greens. If I pulled some out now, would the bulbs be too strong to eat?

Thanks for helping me understand this onion!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County