Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie planted onion sets, now trying to deal with it

Posted by ecopit 5a IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 11:27

I planted onion sets this spring, 45 white and 45 red (I do not know exact varieties). Now many are putting up scapes. I just discovered the Allium forum yesterday, and have been doing a lot of reading. It seems that I should have planted seeds instead of sets. I will do that next year, but what is the best thing to do for now? Will it do any good to cut off the scapes like I did for my garlic? Or should I just immediately pull and use any plants with a scape? Any plants not putting up a scape I will leave until the foliage falls over and browns. Hopefully I will still get some decent bulbs from these.

Thanks for any advice. This is a great forum. (I also have some Allium cernuum in a native plant bed.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie planted onion sets, now trying to deal with it

Well, at least you know what 'scapes' are. I've been gardening for years, and thought this was a flower board (duh!).

I just read in one of the posts to go ahead and cut the scapes off. The flavor might be affected, but it's better than nothing. Some of my scapes had seeds showing, so I'll use those next year.

Good luck! Hopefully someone with allium knowledge will respond soon, and we can both learn.

All the best,
weddingdance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here