Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just received E. Walking Onions - now what?

Posted by agardenstateof_mind 7a/b NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 11:28

I received these yesterday (fresh pulled bulb, stalk and bulbils) and am so pleased since I've been interested in Egyptian Walking Onions since first seeing them in this forum. I just don't know what to do next! (Long story, but I don't know who left them for me, so can't ask him/her.)

I know I could run a search, but am so swamped at the moment if anyone could give some concise first steps to get me started I'd really appreciate it very much.

BTW, I have a small garlic bed with garlic about ready to harvest. Can these crops take turns in that bed?

TYIA

Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just received E. Walking Onions - now what?

Had a few moments and found what I needed.

o

I'm in western NY, and I plant my top bulbs in the fall, end of Sept or in Oct. it doesn't seem to matter, just as long as they get a good start before the ground freezes. I plant them almost touching each other for harvesting in the spring, leaving every second or third or so to develop sets on top for planting in the fall. If you leave them all in they will also multiply on the bottom, but get pretty thick after a while and are tough to keep weeded

o

We have them here, and they grow by dropping themselves on the soil. I don't do a thing, but pull up the ones we don't want. Most of them, that is! They are a little too hot and spicy for us, but I give many away, so others can grow them because they look different. They are in the ground all year in our area, Wa. state.
darlene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here